HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray

I've seen other discussions relating to HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray. Both sides have their passionate followers, those of which usually get into childish name calling. I'm curious what people think here. Do you think HD-DVD will win or Blu-Ray? Why?

I'm torn myself. Blu-Ray claims to sell 2:1 as many discs. They also claim to have sold over 3 million Blu-Ray players including their game console system PS3. (It could be argued they've only sold 400,000-500,000 standalone players.) Blu-Ray also has a consortium of investors all who have a vested interest in how certain things are done. This slows progress down technologically so internal debates can be had. Blu-Ray, until recently, has also been quite a bit more expensive.

Then there is HD-DVD which according to a recent statistic is a slightly more recognizable name. Their players are cheaper, less comity within so the technology advances quicker, have sold nearly 850,000 units including the XBox360 ADDON. So for people who want just a movie player and not a game console system the sales of hardware is in favor of HD-DVD.

Each have four major studio backing them with Warner the only major neutral player. Warner may pick a side come January 7 at CES.

So who do you think will win the "format war" and why? Who would you like to see win?

I went with Blu-Ray and believe it will win the war. First, I like it because I have issues with Microsoft (I detest Microsoft Winblows--a horrible operating system imho--I am a Linux and OpenSource advocat, using Windows software only as needed). But that aside, I went with a Blu Ray player because that is what Blockbuster and Netflix rent, and I watch a movie each night through my membership with Blockbuster.

Last edited:
I went with a Blu Ray player because that is what Blockbuster and Netflix rent, and I watch a movie each night through my membership with Blockbuster.

Netflix rents both and to my knowledge so does Blockbuster Online. I do know that there are a limited number of Blockbuster stores that rent HD-DVD though.

HD-DVD; because "blue-ray" is annoying to say, because it sounds stupid.

HD-DVD is a bit of a tongue twister, but it makes people sound "technical" when they say it and thus making the customer feel smart.

Compare:

"Toss in a Blueray thingy, Bob-Joe!" ... Sounds stupid.

VS.

"Insert an HD-DVD into my unit" ... Sounds Intelligent... and sexy.

Ergo, HD-DVD wins.

Life is short. HD-DVD takes 5 syllables, Blu Ray (not Blue Ray) takes 2 syllables.
Imagine all that extra time you will have with Blu Ray to watch more movies and write more screenplays. :)

At least at my local Blockbuster brick and mortar store they only rent Blu Ray, no HD-DVD. But you are correct in that Blockbuster rents both online, I just checked and you are indeed correct on that. :)

Netflix rents both and to my knowledge so does Blockbuster Online. I do know that there are a limited number of Blockbuster stores that rent HD-DVD though.

(I detest Microsoft Winblows--a horrible operating system imho--I am a Linux and OpenSource advocat, using Windows software only as needed).

An Open Source advocate and you went with the most closed of the formats, which is owned by just one company, that also happens to own the players AND the movie studio that makes the content? HD DVD is the more open of the standards, and the HD DVD consortium is actually chaired by Toshiba, not Microsoft.

For me personally, I don't know which will win and I don't really care. Content is king and it matters more to me which movies come on which format. And since they're pretty evenly split right now, I can't pick a side.

You forgot a third option in the poll, and that's "neither".

I currently own both formats, a PS3 for Blu-ray and a Toshiba HD-A35 for HD-DVD. Both will be around for at least a couple of years. DRM (Digital Rights Management/Manglement) could eventually give rise to a third major format (another minor format already exists, and that's CH-DVD). Studios are still bickering over DRM.

I originally backed HD-DVD, but dabbled in BR beacuseof my PS3. I'm always nervous backing a perenial format looser in Sony. But I have been more wowed by SOME Blu-ray movies than HD-DVD. Also BR is getting some better titles and with Blockbuster pushing them ... I wonder may Sony actually win.

Oh there is one more option. BOTH. It iS possible!

I find it interesting (and this is only an observation, not to pick a fight) that the vast majority of BD owners actually own the PS3, a game console, as opposed to a traditional set top player.

"First, I like it because I have issues with Microsoft (I detest Microsoft Winblows--a horrible operating system imho--I am a Linux and OpenSource advocat, using Windows software only as needed)."

I for one support out Japanese rootkit-installing overlords.

/Wait, no I don't.

To be honest, I have actually thought about just scrapping the whole HD/Bluray thing, going back to just DVD. I got really frustrated at high def when I rented The Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer and my Samsung BluRay player playing the BluRay disc came up with an unplayable error, saying I needed to upgrade the firmware on my BluRay player. WTF?! I never had to do that with plain old DVD. And my BluRay player does upconverting so the DVDs at least look much nicer. I certainly am not buying any BluRay movies, just renting them for now, until a winner is declared in the format/codec battle. Another reason I went with BluRay was that Samsung was a bluray player and my TV is Samsung (60" DLP) and I like the remote to work easily with both.

An Open Source advocate and you went with the most closed of the formats, which is owned by just one company, that also happens to own the players AND the movie studio that makes the content? HD DVD is the more open of the standards, and the HD DVD consortium is actually chaired by Toshiba, not Microsoft.

For me personally, I don't know which will win and I don't really care. Content is king and it matters more to me which movies come on which format. And since they're pretty evenly split right now, I can't pick a side.

wait 10 years to upgrade to HD, then the war will be over and firmware upgrades will be unnecessary. That's what I did with DVD's originally and it worked out fine...did it with vhs/beta as well.

All of these decisions have been financially motivated technology sabbaticals however. (read: I was broke)

I'm still debating. I like the idea of HD-DVD better but I suspect Blu-Ray may win out. Maybe I'll just get each and deal with it later.

This is why it's a conspiracy. Bluray and HD-DVD are conspiring to force all consumers with "collector" attitudes to buy all their favorite movies in TWO formats (which they already HAVE on DVD anyway) so they can cash in TWICE. Then they release BLUE-UBER-HD-RAY-DVD and we'll have to buy everything again....

Riiiight.

I love lamp.

This is why it's a conspiracy. Bluray and HD-DVD are conspiring to force all consumers with "collector" attitudes to buy all their favorite movies in TWO formats (which they already HAVE on DVD anyway) so they can cash in TWICE. Then they release BLUE-UBER-HD-RAY-DVD and we'll have to buy everything again....

Has anyone noticed that the HD DVD and Blu-ray packaging are IDENTICAL except for the color? What a coincidence that two supposedly rabidly competing formats ended up with the exact same package design.

I find it interesting (and this is only an observation, not to pick a fight) that the vast majority of BD owners actually own the PS3, a game console, as opposed to a traditional set top player.

There's a reason for this

The BD-J specification changed as of October 31st, and not one of the standalone players on the market complied before this date (at least nothing below $1000). I started out with a Sony BDP-S300 that cost $499.00 when it hit the shelves. It was a nice player until I started researching the new standard that called for an Ethernet port, increased storage capacity and additional memory (RAM), none of which the S300 had. The S300 wasn't going to cut it, but the PS3 was already prepared with everything but HDMI 1.3a. Then Sony dropped the 60GB PS3 down to $499.00, and they did it within 30 days of my having picked up the BDP-S300. Needless to say, exchanging the BDP-S300 not only netted me a state-of-the-art Blu-ray player, I also got a high-end game console (1080p with 7.1 surround in games = :bow:) and a media hub with built-in wireless connection. And the Cell processor makes Blu-ray loading times significantly faster than most stand-alones. It was definitely a no brainer.

In six months of ownership, I only own two PS3 games (Lair and Resistance: Fall of Man), and rarely play them. In contrast, I own nine Blu-ray titles so far and have rented several. My PS3 is primarily a Blu-ray player. My only complaint about it is that there is a solid chance the PS3 will never bitstream out the high-definition audio codecs for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA. It decodes TrueHD internally and outputs multi-channel PCM, which is fine for 99% of the folks out there including me, but it can only play the 1.5Mb DTS-HD MA core. My receiver can handle both (Onkyo TX-SR605). This is why I chose the Toshiba HD-A35 because it can bitstream out both formats. And for those who say they can't hear a difference either need better speakers, a better environment and/or better hearing because I noticed the difference immediately when I fired up the HD-DVD player. The difference was subtle, but it was there. There are still only a handful of titles with these HD audio formats so I won't lose any sleep over it. But it's like having 400HP in a Vette. I won't take advantage of it 95% of the time, but it's sure nice knowing it's there when I want it.

This is part of the reason Sony is losing their ass on the PS3. People are using it more for Blu-ray playback than they are for gaming, and it's the games that make the profit for Sony.

Last edited:
Back