Having a problem with Premiere Pro.

I finished a project and was going to make a copy of it, but now when I try to open it, it will not open. The project reads 'an unknown error occurred while trying to open this project. Any idea what it could mean or how do I get it open? It does not say anything more than that.

Thanks.

In the root folder of your project, generally, there should be an autosave folder with the last 10 auto saves in. Unless you disabled that. It happens every 10 minutes I think.

Looks like you may have found it.

edit:

Thinking about it now..it may not be defaulted to the project folder. That may be where I make sure to setup my autosave files so that they get backed up also. Perhaps it defaults to your Documents library. Not sure, check the preferences menu in Premiere.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. It has always saved to the place I normally keep it before. This is the first time this is happened and that I have referred to the autosaves folder. The only things missing are the last three changes I made, which did not save.

Well this is good in case one gets corrupted. Thanks! It doesn't save 10 copies of it, just 5. But that's good.

I try not to rely on autosaves. Instead, whenever I get to the end of the next "phase," be it of editing or in ProTools, I "Save As" a new project that is a numbered file in sequence (e.g. my_project_1, my_project_2). That way, I can always go back to a previous stage in my workflow. And, if a file gets corrupted, I have access to most of my work.

Saving where you are and replacing the previous save is, as you now know, a great way to lose a lot of effort.

Further, I keep copies of all my NLE project files on a USB thumb drive (and NEVER on the same drive as the media) that's stored in a safe place.

I try not to rely on autosaves. Instead, whenever I get to the end of the next "phase," be it of editing or in ProTools, I "Save As" a new project that is a numbered file in sequence (e.g. my_project_1, my_project_2). That way, I can always go back to a previous stage in my workflow. And, if a file gets corrupted, I have access to most of my work.

Saving where you are and replacing the previous save is, as you now know, a great way to lose a lot of effort.

Further, I keep copies of all my NLE project files on a USB thumb drive (and NEVER on the same drive as the media) that's stored in a safe place.

I use autosave files + copies of my project file in different stages.
I don't really rename them: I just CTRL+C CTRL+V copy and paste the file, so it creates a numbered copy of the projectfile.
One thing that can cause a corrupted file is saving and immediately quitting that program as well. Some software may get confused and crash during saving.

I'm glad to see you found the autosave files, H44!
So I guess you got something to show soon? :)

Last edited:
Back