• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Has anyone tried Davinci Resolve 11?

I was wondering if anyone tried the editing solution by Blackmagic design. If so, let me know your experience with it and how you like it. Thank you.

I believe only a select group of beta testers have tried it. It's scheduled to come out in July. I've seen mostly positive reviews from NAB though. Some compared it to FCPX with timelines? No clue as I use Premiere.

They seem to have a 'free' version along with their $1,000 version and the $30,000 one.

Honestly, if I see a software selling for that much money, I'm not going to waste my time downloading their 'free' version of it, because it's probably insanely stripped down.

I don't believe it's insanely stripped down actually. It's pretty impressive what they do include.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/compare

Mostly noise reduction, some 3d stuff, control panel,and used to only render to 1080 but I believe the latest version allows export to 4K now.

The 1K version is included with most(?) of their cameras and the 30K one I believe is their control surface version.

Yep, not really stripped down at all - just minus a few features that are targeted more at high end production. Noise reduction is the main thing you might miss, but you can add neat video as a plugin now so that's not much of a concern.

I haven't actually used 11 yet, but I saw it demoed at NAB and it's pretty impressive - they're clearly moving it into the realm of full-fledged editing tools, and considering the price of the lite version I have a feeling it may soon prove to be the best editing choice for no-budget filmmaking.

I haven't used speedgrade much, but resolve has been an industry standard for years. It's high-end, very powerful but also very complex - there's a decent learning curve to it, and it really requires a solid understanding of the grading process and underlying color theory to make the most of the tools it has. Speedgrade is not quite as complex or powerful, but is geared more towards getting results quickly - hence the 'speed'. So for the casual user it's probably going to be easier to get the results you want out of speedgrade, whereas someone who wants to get into the depths of color grading is going to want to put in the time to learn resolve. Resolve also has a clear career path if you're interested in becoming a professional colorist, and it really shines at the high-end when combined with a hardware control surface - that's the $30k version, although you can combine the lite version with smaller third-party controllers in the $1-2,000 range for a very powerful entry-level colorist's station.

That said, both have the same basic tools, and if you're mostly looking to do primary color correction (i.e. not a lot of masking and layering of secondary corrections) you can likely get similar results from either.

Last edited:
what about their lite version of resolve its virtually identical to the expensive full version, with only a seldom used app separating them,it might be the same in this case.

Back