Has anyone heard of this?

I was researching film schools cause I'm going to be graduating Highcshool in 2014. I came across this school or program called the Film Connection. It says that Film schools don't work and that You shouldn't go to one. I don't really know what to make of it. I just wanna know if anyone has ever heard of it or If it looks like a good school. I linked their website and a link to one of their youtube videos down below. I would like your thoughts on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4lj_Aff5oU

I also found a video of one of their former students
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNcXqtSWI1g

Last edited:
This is a frequent question, to which there is no right answer.

If you want to go to film school, go. If you don't, don't. Some folks learn best in that kind of structured environment. Others would rather take that money and make a film.

Some producers are biased against film students, it's true. But I'd be willing to bet that there are just as many who are biased against those who've had no schooling. Most of them probably don't care one way or the other.

One excellent benefit of film school is the potential for connections. Connections are the most valuable asset to a wannabe filmmaker. If you're looking at schools, research that first!

Agreed^

Make sure you look at alumni from the schools you're interested in: what percentage of them find jobs after graduation and what percentage find jobs in film related fields. Look at their profiles on linkedin if you can and see what they're doing now. That should give you a good indicator of how good a film school is.

Reading bios of professors and reading the curriculum to make sure it is worthwhile is also useful.

Or you could avoid film school altogether. There are so many threads on that here. Just search for "film school"

Film school offers two advantages: you have access to gear (the school's) and collaborators (your fellow students), and you can (not guaranteed) make contacts that help advance your career.

On the other hand, film school is very expensive. The Vancouver Film School (Kevin Smith is the most famous non-graduate) is pushing against $30,000! If you have thirty grand to spend, you could make an indie feature -- and that might be a better resume credit / calling card than a film-school diploma.

The advice I've heard: if you're young (like, right out of high school) and have the money, go to film school. If you're older, or have to go into debt to afford it, don't go.

I just wanna know if anyone has ever heard of it or If it looks like a good school. I linked their website and a link to one of their youtube videos down below. I would like your thoughts on it.

Oh grasshopper... Be careful to accept advice from someone trying to sell you their own snake oil. Let me guess what it says... don't go to film school... you won't learn what you need there... Come to our film school instead!

There is a benefit to going to film school, though whether it will work for you depends. There are a lot of things in filming that are just simply difficult to learn through trial and error. The problem is a lot of that just isn't taught in film school either.

Who knows, what might be right for you. That's right.... you are the one that has to know.

Alright so I did a little digging around and I did some research on this place. From what I gathered it's an apprentice program and I'd be paying close to $9,000 for a job. Also their mentor list as they called it was not that impressive. I also didn't like the main guy Brian Kraft's attitude. He was all like Film Schools don't work and that you should go to my school. They said film schools don't work yet they call it a film school on their website.... That is ironic. I'm going to keep researching and take a look at connections and networking.

Go to a state university and get a Business degree of some kind!

You'll be miles ahead of your competition with a biz plan and an understanding of basic finances and debt management. "Produce" your first few movies. Since you hold the checkbook you can sign yourself on as assistant director and get hands on training from a REAL director on a REAL movie shoot. After that, its all you!

(FYI: Im a high school drop out, with a technical certificate from some Podunk community training center... so don't listen to me! )

Back