• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

plot Had an Idea I Can't Get Over

I was hit with an idea over the weekend that I can't shake. I'm partially inspired by the Netflix film Paddleton and the way that story was conveyed.

Two men, one white and one black, from different backgrounds, meet in a men's divorce support group. They hit it off on a friendly level immediately due to their similar circumstance revolving around their divorce. At some point, there is a romantic attraction between the two and a decision is made to explore their feelings.

Act 1 is the focal character (one of the two guys) and his life immediately following his divorce. He moves into his new apartment, people at his job show pity on him, etc. He goes to his first support group meeting, finds it coping, especially since others there have much more dramatic stories. The act concludes when the other of two men shows up at the support group.

Act 2A is them becoming friends, some more meetings, and the beginning of something romantic after some awkward event involving the two. Not sure what will introduce the spark between them just yet.

Act 2B will be them exploring the newfound romantic attraction. They reveal at the support group that they're a couple. People will be surprised yet supportive of this. The last part of this chunk will be one of the following, or maybe both - one of them will suggest that they meet his parents. Or one of their wives comes back into the picture, and the ex-husband of her will introduce the other guy. I can get some comedy out of both scenarios.

Act 3 starts with the fallout of the decision to tell people about their relationship. One of the men second-guesses the whole thing, he takes some time to get his head straight, etc. Eventually they realize they can't be without each other.

Pretty simple premise, but the depth will come from the characters themselves and their stories. I don't want to go the sad route or the super happy ending, but I'm not sure how to pull that off just yet. I have enough meat to get started and get into the second act somewhere. I haven't decided where/when this takes place, as that will drastically change the events of the second act.

Your idea is not identical to the plot line in the Netflix Original Series "Insatiable" but there are a lot of similarities.
You should watch it to research your competition :)

Yeah I personally really enjoyed the series. The two men have know each other before the divorces, one of them knew they were gay already but was closeted, the other hadn't explored any of those feelings. So like i said there are some differences. but it explores a similar type of story. brokeback mountain was more of an illicit affair like how gay people used to be in our grandfathers day when people would sneak around and fear violence against them if they came out publicly.

Yeah I personally really enjoyed the series. The two men have know each other before the divorces, one of them knew they were gay already but was closeted, the other hadn't explored any of those feelings. So like i said there are some differences. but it explores a similar type of story. brokeback mountain was more of an illicit affair like how gay people used to be in our grandfathers day when people would sneak around and fear violence against them if they came out publicly.
That's hilarious something similar to this exists to recently already. But whatever, I'm going to play with racial differences AND someone "turning" gay...which is a controversial standpoint by itself.

Sounds like a classic rom-com. I say go for it! Only critique I would offer is that I think they should meet within the first ten pages, and then the significant event at the end of act 1 is their admission to each other/themselves that yes indeed, they also like dudes, and in particular they like each other. As for their ethnicity, I'd say you can probably make them any ethnicity you want, unless their ethnicity is somehow relevant to the story.

Sounds like a classic rom-com. I say go for it! Only critique I would offer is that I think they should meet within the first ten pages, and then the significant event at the end of act 1 is their admission to each other/themselves that yes indeed, they also like dudes, and in particular they like each other. As for their ethnicity, I'd say you can probably make them any ethnicity you want, unless their ethnicity is somehow relevant to the story.
Yea they actually do meet on page 2 or 3. I'm reworking the intro that I already wrote. Also, I'm adjusting the story a little. Both of these guys are still going to the same therapist, but one of them used to be married to a man. So, these guys have an instant bond and the gay man misreads the situation and makes a move. Obviously this is an issue because of their friendship.

Yea they actually do meet on page 2 or 3. I'm reworking the intro that I already wrote. Also, I'm adjusting the story a little. Both of these guys are still going to the same therapist, but one of them used to be married to a man. So, these guys have an instant bond and the gay man misreads the situation and makes a move. Obviously this is an issue because of their friendship.
I like it!

Back