Guys i really need some advice

ok my final major is approaching in college and i've had loads of ideas for a film but i'm not sure how i'm gonna pull them off, none of my ideas seem what i really want to make, as a filmmaker i like making films with hitman, assassin, CIA, Mi6 themes etc, now i've got no guns at the moment as me and 2 of my friends got arrested at gunpoint by armed police a few months ago
http://www.thisisthewestcountry.co.uk/search/3938721.Plymouth_fake_gun_mix_up/

No obviously i would inform the police if i was doing something like that again but i just can't think of an interesting and original story for that kind of film or any kind of film really, where do you guys get inspiration from and how do you acheive your films on a no budget

It may help to think of storylines that adapt to your circumstances. For example -- you have no guns, but yet you like spy-like story lines. Okay, so you have a spy who doesn't have a gun. Why not? Maybe he was captured and is being held in a cell, and his weapons were taken away. So now you're indoors. Perhaps your spy is being interrogated. Nothing expensive about two or three guys sitting around a table -- but you have to make up for it with good writing since everything else around it is sparse.

I get inspiration from everything, music, films, friends, Life. I would start with a Rodriguez list. List every person you know. (friends, family, ect.) Then make a list of all of the resources they have access to, from vehicles, to houses, to special skills or trades. Once you start compiling this list then create a story that is unique and utilizes every resources you have at your disposal. Think of the city you live in or cities near you. What unique buildings or skylines or parks they have. Don't make the story to complex or it will be a nightmare to shoot, rather, start with a very simple assassin/hitman theme and build on it. Don't worry so much about telling the Borne Identity, just focus on making a solid production that is entertaining to watch. You are still a student so focus on making something you are proud of. I hope this helps a bit. Good luck and most importantly, Have fun!

-Mitchel

I was actually thinking about getting away from a narrative film with guns and assassins and doing something like a tyre advert or a car advert, a potential interviewer or employer may like it more and find it to be more professional than teenagers waving plastic guns around. I do love these kind of storylines but i feel that to make something that i want to make i have to make more practical productions first before i get the budget to do a proper hitman themed film and since i'm into speed and cars as well this might be ideal for my final college project.

It may help to think of storylines that adapt to your circumstances. For example -- you have no guns, but yet you like spy-like story lines. Okay, so you have a spy who doesn't have a gun. Why not? Maybe he was captured and is being held in a cell, and his weapons were taken away. So now you're indoors. Perhaps your spy is being interrogated. Nothing expensive about two or three guys sitting around a table -- but you have to make up for it with good writing since everything else around it is sparse.

I did actually make a CIA style film a while ago almost completely devoid of guns,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpQCCNSWi_M&feature=channel_page

which i was proud of but in this case i might just make something abit different until i have more resources for making narrative action movies

Sounds to me like you were screwed over by the police and you let them bully you into thinking it was your fault and you were in the wrong. If I was you, I'd sue. I think you would probably win.

Running wild through the streets with guns (even if they're props) is really not a smart idea... especially if the police are not aware that a film shoot is underway.

You should check out the finished film that Motorstorm posted earlier.

If I was a cop that saw that going down, you'd better believe I'd have a SWAT team there in minutes. :)

idea

Who says a hitman has to use a GUN ?

Creativity is what separates the good, the bad and the ugly.

Hitchcock had a thousand way to commit murder ... his characters even had long discussions about it (Rope, Shadow of Doubt)

Poisons, bombs, booby traps, "accidents" like being hit by a car or a train .... weapons from garrots to spear guns - icicles to virus' are ingenius.

There are a million ways to die ... but only one way to live !

good luck.

Yep, in the low budget/micro budget world sometimes you write to the budget not budget to what is written.

I think everyone here is really hitting on something about the idea of not NEEDING to use guns to create an effective spy film. You could even reference it in one of the stories, have someone mention how he's never had to use a gun to carry out an assignment/job.

It's an obstacle, not being able to mention them at all, but it's certainly not something that destroys what you're trying to do.

If anything, this could be immensely helpful as a means towards thinking more creatively.

Back