• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Gun/Knife Fight Action Scene - Your Guy's Critique?

Hey everyone, a little over 3 months ago I moved to LA to continue my career in film. This is my first YouTube video to come out while I'm here, highly inspired by video games such as Battlefield and Resident evil!

I post my stuff on these forums because I like getting the good o'l hard critique! So let me know how you felt about this short. Or if you want to break up the critique in categories here's some points,

Editing/VFX
Sound
Sound Design
Acting
Lighting
Color Correction
Photography
etc.

Thanks everyone I sincerely appreciate every bit of feedback I can get on my work! I listen to it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3oE_tC9Dg

Excellent work! The use of and switches between 3rd person and 1st was accomplished very well. You sold the feel associated with those two games too.

I liked the music. The fight scene choreography was executed well.

I would like to see what you can do with a scene like this but with more of a story to go with the action.

I can also see the inspiration from Freddie Wong (I checked your profile and saw the skype video of Freddie and Brandon speaking with your film class) and his team in this piece as well. This doesn't mean you pale in comparison it just means that their filmmaking techniques are proving to be very effective teaching tools for other filmmakers to take on board.

Thanks bro for that insightful comment, really appreciate it. Switching from the first and third person was something I really worked on getting right as that was a big critique on my last action short (which wasn't really third person just regular shots).

Yeah more story is something I'm am definitely working towards. Right now I'm just trying to get an audience haha But....good stories bring in audiences too...no excuse there

Haha and yes Freddie Wong and Brandon Laatsch are a huge inspiration for my work, when they Skyped my school back in July I was tripping. But as you said they just have excellent teaching tools, mostly I'm so inspired by what they do that I want to go out and find the filmmaker within myself.

Excellent work! The use of and switches between 3rd person and 1st was accomplished very well. You sold the feel associated with those two games too.

I liked the music. The fight scene choreography was executed well.

I would like to see what you can do with a scene like this but with more of a story to go with the action.

I can also see the inspiration from Freddie Wong (I checked your profile and saw the skype video of Freddie and Brandon speaking with your film class) and his team in this piece as well. This doesn't mean you pale in comparison it just means that their filmmaking techniques are proving to be very effective teaching tools for other filmmakers to take on board.

Hey Paul! Yeah for sure man story is what I want to dive more into. I specifically didn't include a story in this short as I was going more for the quick internet flick, but a good story is unbeatable you're right. Just need to push myself more.
Nicely done but as PhantomScreenwriter noted you really need a story driving this.

Great depiction of fighting, it comes across as realistic though the sped up aspect is jarring. I was wanting it to be more like Bourne, more Krav or other defense martial art. Some interesting unique fighting techniques would be cool. I second the story comment, no inciting incident or increasingchallenges, no character development. But none of that matters as its not the intention of the short. I liked it, very entertaining, good cinematography.

Thanks my man, glad you enjoyed it. Yes huge fan of the Bourne movies, it would be pretty cool to mix that style of fighting with a video game feel, something to look into next time for sure!
Great depiction of fighting, it comes across as realistic though the sped up aspect is jarring. I was wanting it to be more like Bourne, more Krav or other defense martial art. Some interesting unique fighting techniques would be cool. I second the story comment, no inciting incident or increasingchallenges, no character development. But none of that matters as its not the intention of the short. I liked it, very entertaining, good cinematography.

Yeah I remember seeing that on Netflix! Didn't watch it but had great ratings from what I remember. Thanks for the recommendation!
I was entertained.
If you want to see a fantastic knife fight with a mix of 1st person, check out The Man From Nowhere. one of my favorite films

Yeah I remember seeing that on Netflix! Didn't watch it but had great ratings from what I remember. Thanks for the recommendation!

That is the film that opened my eyes to korean cinema.. sort of like how Ip Man did with chinese films. I never had the level of respect I do now before seeing them.

the problem with man from nowhere is the first 20 minutes are pretty boring. You have to stick it out until the girl gets kidnapped

Will definitely stick through it. The Ip man films are my favorite chinese movies, absolutely love them. So well done.
That is the film that opened my eyes to korean cinema.. sort of like how Ip Man did with chinese films. I never had the level of respect I do now before seeing them.

the problem with man from nowhere is the first 20 minutes are pretty boring. You have to stick it out until the girl gets kidnapped

Back