Guilty Pleasures

Movies that might be good, probably are bad, and that you feel upset when you say you enjoy them. Or, you take it with pride but still feel you have to defend yourself.

I've got quite a few (I am a huge Godzilla fan, after all) but my biggest has to be Street Fighter with Raul Julia. Absolutely brilliant. It's the best piece of Camp this side of Army of Darkness. The dialog is purposely Cheesey, and Raul Julia is probably one of the most hilarious screen Villains of the nineties. Perfectly mismatched with Jean Claude Van Damme.

I watch lots of movies on TV that I would never rent, just to pass the time. I wouldn't exactly say I have a guilty pleasure movie (I'll have to think)... but I do watch lots of garbage movies on TV just because they're on. I don't really watch network TV shows, I'll usually stop at a movie, a doc type show (crime reality), or news.

I'll literally watch anything with Natalie Portman. That's forced me to watch certain movies that would likely qualify as guilty pleasures.

Since no one can call Troma movies a "Guilty Pleasure" based on the fact they are supposed to be bad... I'd have to say my guilty pleasure is getting Hulu, YouTube, FearNet and indietalk... I LOVE watching indie films! Especially shorts. I love almost all the no budget guerrilla horror, mockumentary, and animation. I've got a special place in my heart for creepy experimental stuff (like Wicked Pixel) hidden away in the dusty shadows of the web.

Since no one can call Troma movies a "Guilty Pleasure" based on the fact they are supposed to be bad... I'd have to say my guilty pleasure is getting Hulu, YouTube, FearNet and indietalk... I LOVE watching indie films! Especially shorts. I love almost all the no budget guerrilla horror, mockumentary, and animation. I've got a special place in my heart for creepy experimental stuff (like Wicked Pixel) hidden away in the dusty shadows of the web.

I should point out that I am a huge Troma fan, think Tromeo and Juliet and Troma's War are a couple of the finest B-Films ever.... BUT I think They are just phoning it in, going with what sells, and they are drifting on the sex and violence instead of being genuinely creative. Just showing somebody masturbating isn't funny.... It comes to a point where "intentionally bad" doesn't cut it. Because intentionally or not, you've made something really, really shitty and you can't excuse it by saying "It's supposed to be that way."

Lloyd's last truly good film (or, so bad it's good) was Terror Firmer. That was ten years ago.

This is funny. We're splitting hairs over what's a good Troma movie compared to a bad one... in a thread about guilty pleasures?!?!?! Isn't the point of this thread about naming movies we like despite what other people think?

This is funny. We're splitting hairs over what's a good Troma movie compared to a bad one... in a thread about guilty pleasures?!?!?! Isn't the point of this thread about naming movies we like despite what other people think?

I was just commenting on the trend I've noticed. I really don't care. I mean, I still love all the Troma films. i'm a huge fan.... Though not a fan of the intentionally bad trend.

I don't mean to side track, I'm just scatterbrained.

I guess I when I said intentionally bad, I should have said consistently bad. I'm never disappointed by Troma, because I go in with no expectations, so they are always entertaining. I'll agree that the nudity and sex in Troma is getting ridiculous. The old Troma movies would have maybe one boob if anything, now I can't watch them if my kids are even home, not just in the room. Of course that's most movies now.

Ah well.. now that you mention it, i hate to admit it, but I really like the italian job remake... I think its the use of the song "money" by pink floyd combined with some awsome chase sequences.

IMHO, to qualify as a guilty pleasure a movie has to take itself seriously and still be really really bad. Intentional camp is fun in a different way, but not the kind that should make one feel guilty.

That said, something about me loves to watch crappy 80's martial arts action movies. Always wanted to do an MST3K style thing with dudes on a couch talking trash over a bad 80's action flick. Here are a few that come to mind:

-- Anything and everything starring Jeff Speakman.

-- The "American Ninja" series.

-- Skyscraper starring Anna Nicole Smith.

-- Laser Mission: Brandon Lee's (rip) first flick.

Outside the genre above, I have to recommend Dark Descent with Dean Cain as another guilty pleasure. Bought it for a dollar on a total whim and never looked back. :lol:

It's not really that I like these as movies, but that I enjoy the experience of watching them so much that causes the guilt. :D

Newski: you're going to pic those as the best? How about Toxie and Terror Firmer ?

toxic avenger is BRILLIANT!

i'm a HUGE fan of the fifth element. everything about it.
it would be in my top 10, no prob top 5 most watched DVD i own.

Back