Guilty (filmmaking) pleasures.

Just curious -- what kind of silly, self-indulgent habits do you have, as a filmmaker? An example of what I mean:

I won't go WAY out of my way to make it happen, if it doesn't fit into the project. But if at all possible, I try to get my dog (Boba) into every movie I make. I'd say I'm about 50% successful. :P

How about you?

Mine is convoluted and too subtle to be observable. I like to include dialogue samples of the film I'm working on into the music. Usually warped beyond recognition, so if anyone would notice it would be a blip on the subconscious level. Okay, so some examples of what I'm talking about:

http://soundcloud.com/joshloughrey/fetish-dolls-die-laughing-01
This is the first bit of music in the feature "Fetish Dolls Die Laughing" I did a year ago. The washy sound that starts around 6 seconds in is from later in the movie, where the killer (the possessing spirit of the Tickle Monster...no, still not making this up) says "I Exist". General creepy sound, but in context, foreshadowing the rest of the film (in a subtle, unnoticable way).

For that film, I also did a song for the credits, and used the samples again at the beginning:
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_8132640

And going WAY back to the first film I ever did (when I was doing more ambient/noise, rather than film music):
http://www.youtube.com/v/klLGd04bw5c
The noise piece that plays inside the woman's head (the color stuff) constructed ENTIRELY out of her dialogue. She says "I'm fine" but inside is screaming it, etc.

Crazy pretentious, and no one ever, ever notices. But it makes ME happy, and keeps me thinking about sound in the context of the narrative.

I've got a Coen Brothers style appreciation for slightly oddball names. The lead characters in my last two shorts have been called Enoch and Winston respectively (who also happen to be the Christian names of two famous British politicians)...

My buddy Roo is in everything I do... somewhere. He was one of the leads in "Average Joe"... Since, he's somewhere in everything I've shot... either just his voice (radio in "Scavengers")... feet (upside down in "Curtain Call"), random extra (walking out of door of restaurant in "Extra Credit").

I try to fit an Arrested Development reference in everything. Sometimes vague like a dog named Buster, sometimes a loud "Come on!"... Nobody usually gets it, but it's fun :)

I try to fit an Arrested Development reference in everything. Sometimes vague like a dog named Buster, sometimes a loud "Come on!"... Nobody usually gets it, but it's fun :)

One of my dogs is called Buster. He pre-dates Arrested Development but I like the way your mind works... ;)

I try to get some inside knowledge about some subject that fits.
ie, I try to get a couple of drug dealers talking about the correct way to cut cocaine, a guy explaining why he likes the burgers at a certain place so much (talking about the way the meat is cooked, or the cows butchered)... that kind of thing.

Back