Grips

On average, there is nothing wrong with Grips that a nice dose of empathy wouldn’t cure.

The reputation grips have in the film world is well earned: they are indifferent—the bad ones being contemptuous—of anything other than themselves, their gear, and their role on any given set.

It could be argued that the reason why most grips bluntly disregard anyone else on the set (except their immediate superior) is simply a pathological lack of courtesy. Whereas this can be true, it is not the prevalent reason.

The real reason (one I choose to believe this for no other reason than it makes me less angry with them) why most grips bluntly disregard anyone else on set—brusquely shouldering through crowds without even so much as a nod; scoffing at any observation they themselves don’t generate; or their endless eye rolls, snarky whispers and deep indicting sighs—is because they can’t: their job is so focused and so demanding that even basic etiquette is demoted to inconvenience.

As with any position it is not the position but the person filling it. There are good grips, great grips and just plain jerks.

Because lighting is often the most time-consuming aspect of setting up a shot, I choose to believe grips are frequently infuriated by everyone else’s inability or unwillingness to recognize the urgency of their (the grips’) duties.

Under this perception (which to be fair is sometimes true) grips simply reflect this back to everyone else on the set. Naturally, this never solves the tension but only compounds it, sometimes to the point of confrontation.

So, let’s start by recognizing that grips are heavily laden with a great deal of responsibility, both physical and temporal—they work both against gravity and the clock, striving for the perfection sought by the Director of Photography.

Like all things, you are not responsible for the actions of others—only your own.

So, be kind to your grips and try to understand the extreme pressure they are under. That’s a good start. If you have time, help them when you can. I think most of them will appreciate the effort.

If, after this initial olive branch (and many after it) the grips on your set continue to be disrespectful and alienating, and if you find it a distraction to your job, quietly inform the Assistant Director who, in turn, will assess the matter and determine whether or not it is an actionable complaint.

There is a chain of command for a reason.

These conclusions being wrong, I must submit they are generally rude and condescending for no discernible reason.

Maybe they are just bitter because they are grips and gaffers.

I have no idea.

Last edited:
yeah right...........so what

you touch my gear and i will drop a c stand on your head..........

you try carrying a fully optioned up red and a set of oconner legs and head all day........you would be grumpy too..........

i am having a joke ...you make some interesting points

Change the title (and focus of your post) to directors, actors,
makeup, props, gaffers and it will be just as accurate.

There are good directors, great directors and just plain jerks.
There are good actors, great actors and just plain jerks.
There are good DPs, great DPs and just plain jerks.
There are good ADs, great ADs and just plain jerks.

These conclusions being wrong, I must submit they are generally rude and condescending for no discernible reason.

Maybe they are just bitter because they are grips and gaffers.

I have no idea.
Bitter is absolutely NOT one of the reasons. Grips and gaffers
love their work and are very, very good at it. Sure, as you point
out, grips and gaffers are also human and we humans come in
many different personalities. But in general grips and gaffers are
doing the job because they love their work. I believe it is a mistake
to draw a conclusion that includes these people are bitter because
they are not directors, DP's or actors.

I'm sorry your experiences with grips have been so poor. I hope
someday you have the opportunity to work on a set like the ones
I have worked on. Often the grips are the most fun of any set.

Often the grips are the most fun of any set.

This.

I figured that one one my very first time as a PA about 8 or so years ago now. The grip crew is the most fun. Key your radio to their channel on set sometime, and you will see what I mean.

One thing you forgot to mention about grips is that if they don't respect you as a worker, don't expect to have any fun with them. No work == no play in the world of grip logic.

I was on a show where the key grip outright layed this out to a PA who was there for 2 days, didn't do jack or shit on set, and then wanted to come party and drink and hang out with everyone at the hotel. He got tossed, "You're only allowed here if you bust your ass; You haven't done a lick of work since you got here. No work, no admission card to the club."

OP, perhaps your experience with grips has been tainted by their perception of you.

Edit:

The above just serves as an example, and in no way portrays my perception of anyone I've never met. I'm just attempting to express something I've learned over the years; my attitude towards others has as much to do with their behavior towards me as does their own attitude/personality.

Last edited:
Back