Greetings from Perth, Australia!

Hello indietalk peeps!

I have finally found a forum that talks about film-making ;). Ima newbie, :rolleyes: just started exploring film making on my own this year (March to be exact). I hope to interact with you guys a lot and I hope I can find friends who are willing to give their ideas to a budding film maker like me.

Let me tell you guys about myself

I acquired my first DSLR mid last year, canon 600D with lens kits, and tried to learn stills. But I stopped after few attempts due to lack of people to inetract with and so my passion died out. Until early this year, I learned a friend who's into film making and the rest was a blast! I started liking film making and so, the non-schooled person that I am (I am a geologist by profession), I started reading and practicing on my own. Next thing I knew, I was falling deep into the limbo of films. I learned to make montage editing in Premier elements 10. Yes! that was fool of me, buying a licensed Elements 10, instead of jumping straight away into premier pro But after sometime, I was compelled to have my own premier pro

After few months of practicing with my 600D, I noticed a little bit of improvement in me and so i was compelled (again to buy proper lens. kits aren't doing me good anymow. And so I bought my first proper lens, the fifty nifty canon 50mm f1.8 I was so happy learning the BOKEH effect and that gave me more enthusiasm! And then a friend of mine influenced me to buy Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and so I did. And again that boosted my morale much because the quality of my film making was getting better (at least that's what i felt)

After another few months, sometime in June I think, I made a montage video of my friend having birthday just to be thrown with a lot of comments on the audio quality. Yes, during that time I was still with no audio with only the built in mic And so I researched a lot about audio and I learned that audio is 50% of your video. And so I bought my first audio gadget for my film making - H4n. I was so happy and again that added up to yet another level of learning curve in my film making aspirations. I did a lot of trial and error. There was a time when I wasted all my energy and effort filming a friend in a singing contest just to find out my h4n recording was clipping. And so I decided to dive more into reading audio theory.

After learning some more, I bought Rode NTG 3 to complement my h4n. And I thought that was the end of my spending spree. I thought I was complete.

Few months later, that was in October, I learned about Glidecam and I saw a lot of videos on Youtube about this wonderful stuff. And so...:( my money is draining. I bought one because I really think I need that one to do a lot of my dolly shots and running shots etc. BTW by that time I was able to make 2 short film (not-so-good ones) :D And I bought my first proper tripod too - Manfrotto 190XProb with 128RC fluid head.

My friend warned me: Film-making is a Money Pit. And he's absolutely correct! Next thing I knew, I was ordering my first full frame camera, my dream Canon 5D M2 (m3 is too expensive) and I got it! But WTH! I didn't know that my previous lenses (except for my fifty nifty) weren't designed for full frame. Thank God I can still use my 50mm. Tamron 17-50mm was producing so much vignette that almost 50% of the frame is vignette

When I was practicing my Glidecam HD 4000 with my 5D using 50mm (that's my only available lens for 5D I noticed how hard it was to glide with my fifty nifty. And so on youtube i went. I learned that gliding is better with short lenses!

And so the money pit seems to be bottomless. I decided to buy my first L series canon lens - Canon 16-35mm f2.8 L2 USM and I am the happiest person in the WORLD!!!

Now, I am practicing more and more and exploring my 5D more and more. I am readying myself for a documentary in December. I have watched that Undercity by Andrew Wonder, as recommended by Phillip Bloom, and I was so inspired. But the documentary that I will be doing is diff type but includes a lot of run and gun as well.

I still need a lot of things to add to my arsenal like shoulder rig, prolly zacuto rapid fire for more of my run and gun docus (just in case some are wondering about glidecam, it's more for an art shots in feature films and I don't think it is good for docus) and one more lens, a long one prolly 70-200mm f2.8.

But I think I am broke now because of that massive money drain for my gadgets for this past few months.

And yeah, my friend also told me: Make 10 Good Films Before You Buy A New Gadget. That is like a disciplinary action for me LOL

So, yeah, this is my introductory discourse hahahahaha!:lol:

Thanks for reading guys!

Hey Shuttered!
Welcome :D I am also from Australia

It looks like you're off to a great start with your learning. Bar the 5D, my equipment is almost exactly the same as yours except I have a Steadicam instead of a Glidecam.

Good Luck

'sup & hello :)

Yes! that was fool of me, buying a licensed Elements 10, instead of jumping straight away into premier pro

Why? :hmm:

What if you discovered you hated editing, after spending thousands of extra dollars for PP upfront?

What if you could do 99% of what you needed to in Elements anyway?

How much extra/less gear could/would you have bought, having sunk all that cash into a "better" editing software prog?

Why do you need to own all that gear, anyway? What if you only spent $500 to rent the gear for a film, instead of $5,000 for a lot of gear that you might use twice a year?

Lots of hypotheticals, but just tossing them out there 'cos you keep repeating just how broke you remain with all these purchases. :cool:

I was able to make 2 short film (not-so-good ones)

Practise makes perfect, right? Got any YouTube links? :)

Hi Zensteve

Thanks for your comments :) i think i was just too excited since that was my first post. Not really that broke but it's the way of reminding myself gotta stop spending for a while and put everything into practice.

Why do you need to own all that gear, anyway? What if you only spent $500 to rent the gear for a film, instead of $5,000 for a lot of gear that you might use twice a year?

well, i am so much into it that i bought all those items. i have never been more fulfilled and happier in devoting my time and doing things in life. and no regrets i feel, i actually am thankful i bought those because i can practice a lot. you see i work offshore as a geologist and my roster is 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off. SO during 4 weeks time off, i devote more of my time to practice and shoot. I am also preparing for my docu project and hopefully next year we can shoot my friend's music video :)

At the moment I am on the rig offshore and I can't wait to get back home and get hold of my glidecam. Sometimes I was dreaming of practicing LOL

Here are some of my test film, zensteve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em2m6IfNN30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I1VNyJ1VFM

cheers :D

Hi

Hi Zensteve

Thanks for your comments :) i think i was just too excited since that was my first post. Not really broke but it's my way of reminding myself gotta stop spending for a while and put everything into practice.

well, i am so much into it that i bought all those items. i have never been more fulfilled and happier in devoting my time and doing things in life. and no regrets i feel, i actually am thankful i bought those because i can practice a lot. you see i work offshore as a geologist and my roster is 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off. So during 4 weeks time off, i devout more of my time practicing and shooting. I am also preparing for my docu project and hopefully next year we can shoot my friend's music video :)

At the moment I am on the rig offshore and I can't wait to get back home and get hold of my glidecam. Sometimes I was dreaming of practicing LOL

Here are some of my test film, zensteve. but pls bear in mind im really still a noob :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em2m6IfNN30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I1VNyJ1VFM

you can find my shorts in my account http://www.youtube.com/user/onefretlower

cheers :D

Back