Greetings from Dorset!

Hi guys,

I'm an actor that wants to try his hand at creating his own material, with a team of friends of who I've worked with over the years. This is partly due to the incredible work I've recently seen on Youtube, including a couple of LOTR fan films of exceptional quality!

So I'm now wanting to work on an indie Robin Hood film, as there's going to be a lot of interest again this year, with Ridley Scott's new version coming soon.

Of course with all these projects, at this point we have no budget to speak of, but a good team who can be convinced into using their talents and time in helping out, but any advice anyone here has would be gratefully received!

Look forward to your responses.

Cheers,

Jon-Michael

Welcome.

Where in Dorset are you? I worked on a film shot in
Weymouth and Dorchester many years ago. What a
great place to shoot a Robin Hood movie.

What kind of advice are you looking for? Script ideas?
Where to shoot? How to make costumes?

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply! I'm based just outside of Bournemouth. In terms of the advice needed, I've got things like costumes and the like sorted, as I've worked with a number of re-enactment companies who can help with that. It's more to do with how you go about starting the process once you have a story idea, making it come from page to actual shoot. Anything you can tell me would be most helpful.

Sounds like an interesting project. if you time the release and get a website and youtube posts, you might be able to take advantage of the searches for the Ridley Scott version. of course that means getting it done fast. Just don't cast Kevin Costner :) Good Luck.

It's more to do with how you go about starting the process once you have a story idea, making it come from page to actual shoot. Anything you can tell me would be most helpful.

Always glad to help. But need to know a little more so we don’t
tell you things you already know.

You say you’re an actor working with a team you have worked with
over the years. Does that mean you have made movies before? Or are
you complete newbees - people who have never even picked up a
camera?

Have you acted in movies before or are you a stage actor? Has the
member of your team who will be directing directed a movie before?
You’re an actor so you know the shooting process starts a schedule
and then with auditioning actors for the parts.

Just trying to understand where you are in experience (or lack of).

Thanks for the replies. In terms of experience, the team I've worked with most recently is the same team who made http://strawmanfilm.com/ My personal experience is mainly stage, but I've also worked on films like The Bruce http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115766/ and I've also done some commercial TV work, so I'm not worried about their abilities, moreso mine in the fact that when I bring this project to them I want it to leave them as little work as possible to do that I should've done beforehand, if that makes sense? We do also have a very experienced director within the team, which will make the technical side of things come together a lot easier. I'm just wanting to get as much done as I can to make the project (eventually) look as good as possible considering the budget constraints. Hope this helps clarify where we are.

Back