Grading and Comparing Black Magic Pocket ProRes Files - Part II

https://vimeo.com/72049588

Some more files from the Black Magic Pocket Camera.
We have decided to use Final Cut X for grading because we want to know how to get some useful pictures in a short time without using a color grading software like DaVinci.

Music: Stephan Siebert / Potima

Looks fine but... what's the point?

I mean, you can do a basic contrast/saturation change with just about any camera. This doesn't show anything that is specific to the BMPCC. It doesn't show of the strengths or weaknesses of the camera, or the advantages of having 10bit prores.

And related to that - why a bunch of static shots? They might as well be stills. Again, it doesn't demonstrate anything about the camera.

It just seems like an odd choice to test a camera without actually doing anything that would show it's capabilities.

Well, honestly no one has it yet. It seems like so far they've delivered about 10 of them to customers, so no one is really doing any proper testing yet. That's probably more a failure of their marketing team than anything else - or possibly a deliberate choice. At this price point they'll probably sell all they can make over the next year without needing any real marketing.

And realistically it's going to perform pretty similarly to the current BMCC. So if you've seen results you like out of that, you can probably get similar results out of the pocket cam. I don't think there's any question that it'll be fully capable of significantly better results than anything close to it's price.

I plan to download that skate video with the skater in shade and the sky still blue. If I can pull up those shadows without noise and losing the sky, then yes, its a winner for me.

I did download the skater shots to try grading them. You can certainly pull up the shadows and keep the sky without much problem. There's quite a bit of noise in general, even at 400 iso, although it cleans up easily with neat video. I'm not really sure why they shot these at 400 iso though, the shots are underexposed - the entire signal is pretty much crushed between 10% and 50% - which is the opposite of what I've generally seen recommended for the BMCC cameras.

Back