Gorilla software - who's it good for?

Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone out there had any comments about Gorilla Film Prod. Software? Who is it good for - is it worth the price, etc... It labels itself as the "Film Production Software for the Independant Filmmaker"... true?

For a context, I ask because the film fest I work at is considering a promotion whereby we would give the software away as a prize and I am trying to determine a) if it is a product worth associating ourselves with and b) if so, which prize category it would be appropriate for...

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

JonRon :hmm:

You should really talk to filmscheduling (a member here) his software does the same thing.

Personally I've tested Gorilla and it's ideal for anyone doing either a feature or any professional production project. It's a very comprehensive package and fairly easy to work, if you've had some experience of running large scale productions.

The advantage it has for me as a producer/director is that it's mac and pc based. Filmscheduling is only PC based at present. (Although FS said an OSX vs is in the pipeline)

There are lots of guys here who have used Film Scheduling (the software not the member) and they say nothing but good things about it.

If you were looking at essential producer software for any professional indie filmmaker I'd have to say

1) Final Draft
2) Gorilla (for mac) FilmScheduling (for PC)
3) Storyboard Artist Pro

Does this help? Personally I think that I'd be more than happy to get a freebie of any of the above, especially the Storyboard Artist Pro, which is a brutal $799.

JonRon, if you look on the Premiere Discounts page, you can compare Film Scheduling to Gorilla.

JonRon: No matter what package you choose, I'd recommend checking out the trial versions thoroughly. The scheduling functions in the "all in one" packages often have performance and usability issues. Make sure that the program is user-friendly, robust, and reliable enough to use during the production battle.

Last edited:
Will Vincent said:
Not sure what you mean, but I don't think it's really related to this topic. ;)

In order to import screenplays into scheduling software, you usually "tag" elements in the script and then import it. The scheduling software then arranges the elements according to the particular category, such as "prop" or "character" or "sound effect." It's very handy. Screenwriter does this very well, but I haven't been able to figure this out in FD, if it even does it at all. I usually just export the script to SW, then tag it there and import it into Scheduler, but that's such a pain.

clive said:
It's a separate piece of software that comes with the package, called Final Draft Tagger. Once you see it you'[ll see it's fairily easy to use.

Cool, thanks. I didn't realize the software had that. I'm going to be producing/directing a film later this year and I'll have to try this out.

Btw, does this come with AD software as well (for call sheets).

Back