GOOSEBUMPS Thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cn716jv61s

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/04...-we-thought-2896245?lt_source=external,manual

Confirmed Monster List: http://goosebumps.wikia.com/wiki/Goosebumps_(2015_film)

30 R.L. Stine Goosebumps monsters come to life on the big screen! That's awesome alone, but add in the fact that the premise is that every time R.L. Stine writes a Goosebumps book the monster becomes real and he had to seal them inside manuscripts. Now two teenagers have caused an army of Goosebumps characters to escape their prisons and they have to return them back to the books?

This is an unexpected and exciting announcement! Slappy is even a main antagonist! Honestly, I'm glad this trailer has released with the movie being so close to theaters. I've been getting really tried of hearing about cool movies that won't come out until 2018, tell me that later, what can I watch now?

So yea! Thoughts? Anyone else read these books when they were younger? I had a thing for the choose your own scare series when I was growing up.

Last edited:
im looking forward to it, the beginning of the trailer looked crap but then it got better, we adults need to remember its a kids film.. aimed at kids.. dont expect too much :)

In middle school english, 1995, a lot of my classmates gave book reports on goosebumps. I never read one myself.

I gave a book report on asimov's "Foundation" and when I was finished the teacher announced it was a college level book and I got really embarrassed.

Even though I've never been a true Goosebumps fan, I appreciate what it was when I read a few of the books, and I appreciate what the TV series was to many of my friends back in the 90s.

So my biggest problem with this upcoming film is that it doesn't look like it's going to capture that palpable horror and mystery angle that it ought to have, like a junior version of The Twilight Zone or Tales From the Crypt, and instead is trying to emulate films like "Monster Squad," "Night at the Museum," and "Small Soldiers," which makes it turn more into a comedy than a horror film.

Ironically, I don't think anyone is going to be getting Goosebumps at this film, unless they are nostalgia Goosebumps: which are slightly different.

Then again, perhaps this film will be relatively on par with the TV series, which to be fair, might not be a bad thing.

My other problem, though, is that Jack Black look nothing like R L Stine, even though I think if they had cast someone who did look like him, it wouldn't have really worked. Even at that rate, though, I also don't quite think Jack Black works for the type of character he's supposed to be playing. So it will need to be seen whether his performance will become funny in its own right, or will prove to just be an awkward forceful character type that doesn't gel with Jack's natural sensibilities.

Even though I've never been a true Goosebumps fan, I appreciate what it was when I read a few of the books, and I appreciate what the TV series was to many of my friends back in the 90s.

So my biggest problem with this upcoming film is that it doesn't look like it's going to capture that palpable horror and mystery angle that it ought to have, like a junior version of The Twilight Zone or Tales From the Crypt, and instead is trying to emulate films like "Monster Squad," "Night at the Museum," and "Small Soldiers," which makes it turn more into a comedy than a horror film.

Ironically, I don't think anyone is going to be getting Goosebumps at this film, unless they are nostalgia Goosebumps: which are slightly different.

Then again, perhaps this film will be relatively on par with the TV series, which to be fair, might not be a bad thing.

My other problem, though, is that Jack Black look nothing like R L Stine, even though I think if they had cast someone who did look like him, it wouldn't have really worked. Even at that rate, though, I also don't quite think Jack Black works for the type of character he's supposed to be playing. So it will need to be seen whether his performance will become funny in its own right, or will prove to just be an awkward forceful character type that doesn't gel with Jack's natural sensibilities.

I think the thing to understand most about Goosebumps is that it's NOT scary. Read any Goosebumps book after the age of say 12 and you'll most likely just be laughing at them the entire time. One of them is even about a killer hamster called Cuddles.

People are upset about it not looking scary, but they forget that when these stories scared them, they were children. It's supposed to feel like Monster Squad or Night of the Museum. It's supposed to the kind of thing a kid can be scared to turn to the next page be surprised and maybe even get a laugh about it. I remember laughing when I read the Give Yourself Goosebumps books and decided to hide out in a carnival tent filled with puppets just to have one of them kill me and end the story and I was like 9 or so.

I will agree however, I was originally taken back when I found out that Jack Black's character in the movie is R.L. Stine. I was like what? But that quickly vanished when I realized they had Jumanji'd the Goosebumps franchise making it possible to combine them all at once.

Jack Black also stated at SDCC that this movie is not intended in anyway to accurately portray R.L.Stine, he even told him that to do the character he'd have to be a different kind of person for his character to work in this movie. Jack wouldn't do the movie, without Stine's approval first apparently.

Now that's actually cool. I'm glad Stine approached such an unusual casting decision in that way. That does make me feel a bit better about the film's prospects.

I suppose then the only real thing to worry about is whether or not it'll be as fun as "Jumanji" or "Monster Squad" or even "Night at the Museum." I have my doubts, but there's a chance it could be different than how the trailers are looking.

I likely won't see it in theaters, but I'll definitely give it a watch on blu-ray early next year to review it properly.

I'm actually more worried about the main male teenage actor... Even a little worried about his quirky weird friend.

If you're worried about them, I'd be more worried about the daughter character, as that actress was terrible in "The Giver." Her role there wasn't all that stellar or well written to begin with, but even with that excuse she wasn't engaging in any way. She's a lot better here, but I can't tell how much more she'll be in the whole film.

Back