software Good video editor/compressor?

Hello,

I just spent around $100 on the Movavi video editor and compressor.

I'm not happy with them, they always want to save the files in huge sizes, much larger than the original file and it doesn't improve the quality, if I adjust to save the file in the original size - or smaller which was the point of buying the compressor - the quality suffers greatly.

I've seen good quality vids in small sizes so I'm wondering what is a good program to do this, I've seen others advertised out there but I don't want to shell out more of my money only to be unhappy again.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Matt

Sweetie

As for editors, the big ones are Avid, Resolve, Premiere Pro and Final Cut. Take your pick, any of them should be able to serve your needs. They all have some form of render engine. If you put in the right settings, you'll be able to achieve what you need.

As for converters/compressors, most of the ones out there are fine. ffmpeg is a popular converter. It'll compress if you know what you're doing.

Thank you for the info, sorry so long on my response I haven't been at a computer for a few days, I'll look into those editors.

Quick question tho, you said "It'll compress if you know what you're doing. " - not really sure what you mean. I thought with a compressor you just load the file, choose the output format and run the program.

Sweetie

Quick question tho, you said "It'll compress if you know what you're doing. " - not really sure what you mean. I thought with a compressor you just load the file, choose the output format and run the program.
That's kind of like saying, "I thought the editing program would edit the movie for me". Software only does what you tell it to do. Transcoding, much like editing, isn't as simple as saying, "Here's the input, output to this filename". Any piece of software which is that simple would be as useful as a wordprocessor that only let you use 10 point Times New Roman. It'd be great for those who didn't know any better, but if you needed a particular look or size, you're dead in the water.

ffmpeg is a command line program. Once you figure it out, it's amazing. There are front ends that can help.

Personally I just use the encoder with whichever editing program I'm using.

HOUSEHOLD HACK!! Upload it to YouTube and re download it with 4K Videodownloader.... 🙃....and voila........smaller file....

(I would not do this myself)

Last edited: