camera-dept Good cinema cameras for stuent filmmakers.

Hi I'm just starting to want to shoot my scripts but got to get the gear first. What would be a good cinema camera that's not too pricey? I really don't want to have to buy a DSLR.

Just so you understand,

DSLR's are cheaper than regular cinema or professional cameras. They always have been, so if you are trying to save cash, you will more than likely really NEED to look into DSLRs over something like an Arri or a Red camera. There's a pretty substantial difference.

First, plan out how much you are willing to spend, and then decide between renting or asking friends with the gear to help.

Renting will all be based on your number of shooting days needed.

I wouldn't go beyond that without hearing about your budget first.

I love my bmpcc 6k. I have shot on the gh5, eva1, Canon cinema and a few others. For someone who has more than a few hundred dollars there's literally no reason I can think of why it doesn't make sense to get one.

It comes with a free, full license for davinci resolve. You can shoot 120fps in 2k, shoot 4k directly in prores, you have easily the best raw format in terms of usability/quality.

I edit braw from my laptop.

And you get real, professional features like zebras, false color, focus peaking, you can plug a mic right into it and not have to worry about fixing drift issues dslrs have but still have great quality sound.

All that for 1k plus the cost of an ef lens

I love my bmpcc 6k. I have shot on the gh5, eva1, Canon cinema and a few others. For someone who has more than a few hundred dollars there's literally no reason I can think of why it doesn't make sense to get one.

It comes with a free, full license for davinci resolve. You can shoot 120fps in 2k, shoot 4k directly in prores, you have easily the best raw format in terms of usability/quality.

I edit braw from my laptop.

And you get real, professional features like zebras, false color, focus peaking, you can plug a mic right into it and not have to worry about fixing drift issues dslrs have but still have great quality sound.

All that for 1k plus the cost of an ef lens
It's the best pick for that budget, no question.

Back