good camera for about 1000

So your solution to having to buy lots of things for your t2i is to buy a vastly more expensive camera that will also likely need accessories? Uh, okay, I guess.

You're not going to find anything in that price range that beats DSLRs in video quality.

folllow focus
view finder
shoulder mount
hand grip
battery grip
Buy a bottle opener from Bed Bath and Beyond. Tada, $2 follow focus.

I would consider a shoulder mount to be a luxury, but you'll find that almost all cameras in that price range will need one, as well.

Hand grips, battery grips, and view finders are sort of a luxury.

Still, all told, is all of that stuff together more expensive than say $1500 for a new camera that will require its own assortment of items?

To be honest I was expecting lenses to be the number one expense.

Last edited:
The VG10 is $2000 I think, so the high end of your budget. I wouldn't buy it since its really lacking in features (only 1080i in 60i, no 24p, no controlling audio, etc.) Definitely not worth the price tag.

The VG20 I believe will be announced near the end of August and its supposed to have 24p/60p in 1080p. And you can control audio levels. But stilll no XLR inputs, which can be a deal breaker for some.

Other than that, if you want DSLR shallow depth of field for under $2000, you're out of luck unless you want to use a 35mm adapter.

Other good cameras to note are the Canon XA10 or the Canon HFG10.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything out there right now that beats the T2i's image for the price. However, there are things you can do to ensure that your money isn't being wasted. For one when buying extras look into being able to repurpose them when you finally do get a different camera. So far it looks like what you have purchased can be repurposed to be used again. Secondly maybe start saving a little bit at a time and look to purchase something a little more expensive but something that is outside the DSLR area. I know Sony is coming out with the NEX FS100. Looks promising. And many of your purchases can be used on that camera. Hopefully that helps.

So your solution to having to buy lots of things for your t2i is to buy a vastly more expensive camera that will also likely need accessories? Uh, okay, I guess.

You're not going to find anything in that price range that beats DSLRs in video quality.

wow ok, no, instead of wasting my money on a bunch add ons, i want to save up my money and buy something that feels a little more professional.
I went to go visit some film schools this summer and they said they dont like to use dslrs and believe they are a waste of money. BUT i do believe my t2i was a good starter camera

The VG10 is $2000 I think, so the high end of your budget. I wouldn't buy it since its really lacking in features (only 1080i in 60i, no 24p, no controlling audio, etc.) Definitely not worth the price tag.

The VG20 I believe will be announced near the end of August and its supposed to have 24p/60p in 1080p. And you can control audio levels. But stilll no XLR inputs, which can be a deal breaker for some.

Other than that, if you want DSLR shallow depth of field for under $2000, you're out of luck unless you want to use a 35mm adapter.

Other good cameras to note are the Canon XA10 or the Canon HFG10.

no 24p?! forget that

Unfortunately there really isn't anything out there right now that beats the T2i's image for the price. However, there are things you can do to ensure that your money isn't being wasted. For one when buying extras look into being able to repurpose them when you finally do get a different camera. So far it looks like what you have purchased can be repurposed to be used again. Secondly maybe start saving a little bit at a time and look to purchase something a little more expensive but something that is outside the DSLR area. I know Sony is coming out with the NEX FS100. Looks promising. And many of your purchases can be used on that camera. Hopefully that helps.

Thank you! maybe i will save alot more then haha. i better start working now.

and i only have a hand grip and batter grip! the rest i would still need to buy! thats why i want to avoid buying them and just save up my money!

what about like 4000?

wow ok, no, instead of wasting my money on a bunch add ons, i want to save up my money and buy something that feels a little more professional.
I went to go visit some film schools this summer and they said they dont like to use dslrs and believe they are a waste of money. BUT i do believe my t2i was a good starter camera
I'm curious as to which schools believe the t2i is a waste of money.

If you're willing to go up to $5000 you start finding some superior options to DSLRs like the Panasonic AF100 and the Sony HVR-Z7U but honestly, I find the image increases completely disproportionate to the massive price increase. I'd rather spend that money on some excellent glass and get more out of my DSLR, but, different strokes I suppose...

The Head of the equipment section of the Roy H. Park School of Communications in Ithaca College said dslrs were cool for about 2 years.
Uh, so now all of a sudden they're not cool and thus shouldn't be used?

scanners.gif

I'm sorry, I'll just leave this thread now.

haha no you totally misinterpreted that. When he said cool, he didn't mean like "hip".
he had good reasonings. he's a professional i think he knew what he was talking about. and plus thats just an opinion. I'm getting tired of my DSLR. i'm ready to move onto something different. You like dslrs, that your opinion. i'm not saying they're bad, they're actually pretty sick, i love my t2i. i was just looking into getting something different now. sheesh ahah

i honestly didnt want this to a debate on DSLRS. I just need some advice on buying a new camera. that is all.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no camera in your price range that can rival DSLRs for films. If you stretch your budget you could maybe find a used JVC GY-HM100 or Canon XH-A1, but in narrative situations the image is a step backwards. I'm fine with people disliking DSLRs, but they're still the best choice at the sub $5000 level.

Those who can't make films discourage others by telling them idiotic things like this.

What has this person produced?

Or is he just the custodian of equipment?

Exactly!!

Lauren, I have two t2is. I like them both.

You should save your money and then buy something a little more expensive like the Sony FS100. I'll do that the moment I win a small lottery. It's about $6000.

Well I think this guy was just trying to tell us that if we were lookin into buying a camera, instead of buying something like the t2i, to save up more money and buy something a little nicer. After buying all the extras for a dslr, you've spent the same amount of money of a camera that has the same quality. But easier to work with.

This is just what he told us. Honestly I'm still a novice at this stuff. I'm only 17, but multiple people have told me the same thing that this guy said, so I'm following their advice. It's my choice.
Thanks trueindie, I'm going to look up those cameras now :)

Hmm. Didn't mean to sound like I was putting you down but the DSLRs I have used and seen used have produced perfectly good products.

P.S. None of those cameras come with built-in shouldermounts or braces or follow-focuses as far as I know...

It's your choice.

;)

ok all of this is besides the point of my question. I agree dslrs are incredible but I'm ready to buy something that's not dslr. I dont want to work with them for the rest of my life. I'm just trying to branch out. After having the t2i for over a year, I realized they're just not for me

Back