Going through Manager Instead of Agent?

I know this topic (casting an A list Actor for a project) has been discussed before, but I have a specific question about this process.

A team I worked with assigned me to contact talent agency to book an actor for a gig and let's just say things did not work out because apparently they had already reached out to this agency before and pissed them off and I unknowingly was made to try and patch things up - long story short negotiations broke down to the point where the agent said never to contact him again and they wouldn't sell us any of their talents at any price.

Now months later, I'm working on my own independent film and low and behold, an Actor I'm trying to cast is represented by the same agency!!!!!

Now I'm at a lost:

Scenario 1: If I contact this Actor's agent, I'm sure someone in the office will talk and eventually find out I was apart of the team that pissed off another Agent in their Agency

Scenario 2: I can hire a casting director for the sole purpose of reaching out to the Agency to book the talent on my behalf, which must still result in Scenario

Scenario 3: The Actor's is managed by a completely different team and they're very nice as well. I can start afresh, reach out to his Management Team and perhaps book the Actor though this method.

Your thoughts?

Scenario 2: I can hire a casting director for the sole purpose of reaching out to the Agency to book the talent on my behalf, which must still result in Scenario

This is probably your best option. It shows that you've acknowledged your weakness and the casting director will ensure you don't waste their time unnecessarily. It may still end up with you being told to piss off, but it's much less likely.

In this scenario, I wouldn't approach the manager. When it came to the agent stage, you've just pissed them off even more.

You could go through the manager to make contact about the project, but if I'm not mistaken a manager cannot sign a contract on behalf of an actor. Only a licensed agent can do that. It may vary by state. Either way, the agent will eventually find out about it but if you can get the manager and the actor excited about the project you have a chance. The agent works FOR the actor so the actor can override them. However, you will damage the relationship with the agent even further.

Many agents tend to do what is best for their bottom line rather what may be best for the client's future. That is why you could see good actors in bad big budget movies. A good manager should be concerned with what is best for their client. Many actors shift agencies. Not knowing what happened between you and the agent and why, it would be hard to advise. However, if you had the perfect script for the actor, I would go through the manager.

Back