Go Pro Hero - Opinions?

Looking for some opinions on this camera as an all-in-one PRE-entry-level audio/video capture device. I realise that it's marketed as an attachable camera but it's also touted as having high quality options across the board. Since I know virtually nothing about any of it I'd like to hear what others who do know what they're talking about, comment on it. Primarily my interest is due to the low price since DSLR options tend to run at 2-3 times the price of this camera.

My personal opinion is that it has its place and general film making is not one of them, unless perhaps a wide B shot. While the video quality is quite good (you will need to get rid of fisheye in post though!) the audio is terrible. For other cameras of the same price you can get much more acceptable audio. The reason the GoPro is raved about is because it is so small and yet good quality video and because it was the answer for getting quality video in awkward situations

I have one, it's a ton of fun but it's only good for what it's good for. In a traditional cinematic sense there's no way it replaces a cinema camera with interchangeable lenses, manual settings and a large sensor.

What it's great at: aerial stuff, Landscapes, timelapses, action and vehicle shots, documentary and hidden-cam type footage, and anytime you want a low-risk "disposable" camera for shots too dangerous for expensive cameras.

Why you shouldn't use it as your A-cam in a narrative- you have no control over brightness (gain/iso and aperture) or shutter speed, it's extremely wide angle and distorts the image (like a fisheye lens). Because of it's wide angle if you want a tight shot you'll need to be a foot or two from the actor, and then they'll look funny because of the distortion.

As far as audio capture, don't even think about it using it for legit audio. It does capture reference audio which is nice, but unless you're doing some reality type thing you'd still need a real audio rig, and because it's so wide if you don't want to see your microphones they will have to be really far away or use hidden wireless lapels.

If you already have one and no money and want to make a movie by all means shoot with what you have, but if you're looking to buy this for a narrative movie there are better options.

Edit:

And yes, it does make a great image. In the higher resolutions and frame rates it can only be full wide. The "medium" and "tight" modes are essentially just a cropped off part of the sensor and force a lower resolution.

Just to reiterate, this camera is a lot of fun though. I've stuck it on cars and hidden it in shots. The iPhone app to control it is very handy. I'm taking it kayaking next week and sky-diving this summer. Again, that's the stuff it's made for.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

Like I said, my main interest was the low price. I guess a second-hand GH2 is still the cheapest entry point for anything remotely viable. Just wish I could get my feet wet and see if this is something I want to spend every spare dime on before I actually spend every spare dime.

I agree with everyone else about the GoPro - incredibly good camera for a purpose, but that purpose isn't general-purpose filmmaking.

I realise that it's marketed as an attachable camera but it's also touted as having high quality options across the board.

I think you missed my point in the other thread about what to look for in a camera. Here's the list again:

Manual:
- focus
- aperture
- shutter speed
- white balance
- ISO/gain
Interchangeble lenses (or not, but nice to have while learning)

Notice what's not on that list? 'High quality options across the board'. Notice in fact that there's no mention of quality whatsoever. It really doesn't matter when you're just starting out, and all the currently available DSLRs are more than good enough. The difference between something like a T3i, an NEX, or G2/3 are inconsequential at this point.

Do you have a cellphone with a camera that takes video? If so, start with that.

Lucky's right. My minimum feature list is what I think someone needs to learn how to shoot good video - if you can't effectively use those features it won't matter how good a camera you have. But it's certainly more than you need to start learning filmmaking - there's a whole lot to the process that has absolutely nothing to do with the camera or technology. If you can get your hands on just about any recent camera (including one in a phone) you can get started making films.

And honestly - you'd be better off spending the next six months shooting videos with whatever you can get your hands on, than spending that time trying to figure out which camera is better, or saving up for whichever you have decided is perfect for you.

The reason the GoPro is raved about is because it is so small and yet good quality video and because it was the answer for getting quality video in awkward situations
They were also designed to be virtually indestructible.

Ultimately the target market for this camera is extreme sports, and it was developed by people who participate in a wide range of extreme sports.

Can it be used for some filmmaking? Sure, but it's certainly not a main camera.

I own 2 of them. ;)

I think you missed my point in the other thread about what to look for in a camera.
I didn't. But I do think a lot of people are misunderstanding my aims and goals. Part of this process of asking a lot of questions and determining what to get is as much about learning about cameras and other equipment as it is about actually getting any of it.

Plus, I know what I want, I know where I'm going with it, and eventually, through discussions like this, I will settle on what I will buy and I will be doing so with far more knowledge, and therefore make a better informed purchasing decision, than I will have started out with. The end justifies the means. Have faith that I know what I'm doing, even when I have no clue what I'm doing :)

I own one, it is AWESOME for me, but if you want to make a film it is really tiny, doest have any focus, and your image if re-formed by the widescreenlens, dunno the english name. For action it is perfect.

I agree that this is primarily an action camera, but I think the GoPro is on the cusp of something potentially great. The Hero 3 black edition can shoot 2.7K (30 fps) and 4K (15 fps). And, there is already a new sensor that doubles those frame rates, including 4K (30 fps), that could be used for the next model.

You can install lenses to get rid of the fish-eye. You can even macro focus.
http://www.pimp-your-kopter.de/gopro-objektive/60-fuer-gopro-black-silver-and-white.php

objektiv60_2_160.jpg

One company modded their camera with C-mount lens capability, which allows for exposure control and digital zooming. I'd like to see GoPro adopt something like that.

2013-novo3.jpg

Some guys use the GoPro's Wi-Fi to link to their cell phone display to remote monitor the GoPro, while it is airborne. How cool is that?

I'm just fantasizing, thinking about the next model...., but there's a part of me that would totally be up to the task of shooting a movie with deep focus and limited exposure options. I've got lights. Or, I could also write a script that takes place in broad daylight. Can you imagine - 4K (or 2.7K) for a few hundred bucks? Need a close up, without distortion - crop the 4K medium shot. :lol:

You know how you can joke about something and then it actually becomes a viable idea? That's what I'm doing. Now, if you'll excuse me.....:lol:

Even though I think it is absolutely fantastic piece of gear , some people are starting to forget what is the most important thing in a short film - telling a good story .

And some people write good scripts and have fantastic ideas but they completely ruin them with unnecessary slow motion , unneeded POV shots etc .

It could be great if you're using it to enhance your story , amazing for certain types of shots such as aerials or action shots but overall for fiction storytelling I am not a fan of it . If its done right it might look amazing , but if you use it like most people does it looks cheesy to me and pulls me out of the film .

Not to mention that you don't have much space as far as technical control goes .

I don't know , It is just my opinion , anyway most people love it and don't support me on this one but that's fine .

I didn't. But I do think a lot of people are misunderstanding my aims and goals. Part of this process of asking a lot of questions and determining what to get is as much about learning about cameras and other equipment as it is about actually getting any of it. [...] Have faith that I know what I'm doing, even when I have no clue what I'm doing :)

I get that - I just also see a lot of people spending way too much time worrying about things like which camera is best when they're just starting out, when it really doesn't matter yet. As long as it's not holding you up from actually making videos it's all good. I'll have faith... and look forward to seeing your first video!

I was speaking with the local GoPro rep at my neighborhood camera shop. They were trying to get the store to carry their product line. I told him that it lacked key features that a would be required by anyone who was serious about shooting narrative films with it and that extreme sports guys didn't frequent stores of that type. I also lamented the horrible barrel distortion. The rep said that big changes are in the works for the next generation of Hero and that the barrel distortion is considered a visual trademark of the GoPro line.

Back