GH4 = 4K and 4:2:2 oh my!

I'll believe it when I see it.

Panasonic have been trying to bring a 4K Varicam to market for years with no success yet.

All of this is impressive specs, but assuming they do have a 4K Varicam close to market, they're not going to kill a camera that's going to cost somewhere between $20k-50k by bringing in a $3k DSLR that does almost the exact same thing.

It happened with Canon - everyone thought the C300 was going to be the 'video-oriented cheap SLR' they'd been pining for, with better quality images, more video-oriented form factor, proper ins and outs etc.
But Canon was never going to release it for <$10k, especially considering the amount of DSLRs that were/are selling for video use. Even the 1Dc doesn't sell for <$10k.

If this materialises, perhaps at a similar time to a 4K Varicam, I can imagine it being competitive price-wise with the 1Dc, perhaps slightly cheaper, with the 4K Varicam competitive price-wise with the C300/C500.

Impressive specs for $3k, but when you consider it's much more likely to enter the market at ~$10k, then it's perhaps less impressive. The GH3 is already $2k, and this is not meant to replace it - bringing it in at $3k would be effectively replacing it.

If anything on a lower-priced front, I would imagine a firmware update to the GH3 to allow 4:2:2, perhaps 10-bit to allow it to compete with cameras like Blackmagic

if panasonic get it, then they know that the varicam customer and the dslr customer are not the same person.

Does any rational person think that a customer who is prepared to drop $40K on a cinema production camera will suddenly go.. "Wait, I can get a gh4 for only $3000!, what am I thinking spending all this money on a camera system" People making capital purchases decisions at the $40K level aren't concerned overmuch with specs, they are more concerned with Totoal Cost of Ownership! Camera costs are the least of the expense in a camera system for a production company. Ongoing support, trained technicians, depreciation, media and storage.. all of this cost WAY more then the camera system..

Nobody will do that, its a different market. If Panasonic can grock that a DSLR buyer is NEVER going to buy a varicam and a varicam buyer might by a dozzen dlsr's on a whim as throw away crash cams if they have the specs to play along with the varicam, then they will pack as much quality and features into that <$3K camera and steal huge chuncks of the small dlsr cinema market share.

Seems to me that DSLR for casual camera use is dead, EVERYONE uses phones for snapshots now, compact camera markets is GONE.. so DSLR has two main user groups left. Pro Photo and low budget\startup Cinema. Panasonic has never had much pro photo market share, the GH1\2\3 sales are for its video features to wannabe filmmakers. They will need to snatch up as much of a dwindling market before the market for ANY dslr camera dries up.

Does any rational person think that a customer who is prepared to drop $40K on a cinema production camera will suddenly go.. "Wait, I can get a gh4 for only $3000!, what am I thinking spending all this money on a camera system" People making capital purchases decisions at the $40K level aren't concerned overmuch with specs, they are more concerned with Totoal Cost of Ownership! Camera costs are the least of the expense in a camera system for a production company. Ongoing support, trained technicians, depreciation, media and storage.. all of this cost WAY more then the camera system..

You don't seem to have worked with many Producers ;)

In the end, even rental houses will buy 15 GH4s at $3k, but may only buy one 4K Varicam at $40k depending on their clientele. It makes no fiscal sense for Panasonic to bite themselves in the foot here. I can tell you that most people purchasing cameras are not production companies, but owner/operators and rental houses. Owner/operators want the best bang for their buck, and if they can get 95% of the features of a $40k camera in a $3k body, they will go for the $3k body every time.

You have it around the wrong way. Not many people who are willing to spend $3k are going to be able to spend $40k. Just about everyone who isn't a multi-billionaire is going to spend $3k if they can get the same quality as a $40k camera.
Why do you think RED took off?

As well, when you're purchasing your own camera, there are none of those costs to take into account. The more expensive the camera, the more expensive the media (tick for the cheaper one), the more expensive the camera, the more expensive it is to get it fixed or replaced, and the longer it takes for it to get shipped off to be repaired (tick for the cheaper one).
Production Companies don't buy cameras, they rent them from rental houses.

And in fact, rental houses do spend an incredible amount of capital on cameras that can sometimes be risks. A local rental house spent about $1mil on a number of Sony F900s when they were first released, and they sat on a shelf for 12 months.
I can tell you that they weren't thinking 'it's not so bad - camera purchases are the least of our expenses.

A 4k body with a set of Ultra Primes makes much more fiscal sense to anybody than a $40k camera body that does almost the same thing.

Panasonic already have a large chunk of the 'video DSLR' market.

I'm sorry, but your argument just doesn't quite make much sense. If you could afford a $40k camera, why would you buy a camera that costs $3k and does most of the same thing? Well, why wouldn't you? If you did, you could buy 4, rent three of them out for cashflow for yourself, buy a small set of Cooke Mini s4/i's and get a few accessories for your main camera, then buy more as you need from the cashflow from your rentals... And still be making very similar (if not better, because of the better quality glass you're now able to afford) images as the more expensive camera.

You could have made your same argument about Canon a few years ago with their 1Dc and C300. Just because you want it to be cheap, doesn't mean it will ;)

Many were outraged when the C300 was released and it cost $18k. They wanted a DSLR for $3k that could compete with a RED.
Unfortunately, that doesn't make any sense, when people will pay that much cash for a camera. If most people couldn't afford high-end, $15k+ cameras, then all manufacturers would be forced to either lower their price point, or put up with much lower sales.

As it is, there are still more than enough people, rental houses and boutique companies who can afford the more expensive cameras, and more than enough peolpe who can only afford cheap DSLRs - in other words why rob Paul to pay Peter, when Peter can still get paid a smaller amount and then pool his money with Paul?

--
On a slightly different topic: the AVC-Ultra codec is actually pretty decent, at least for the images. It's a nightmare to work with, and there's no great post workflow, at least for now, mostly because it's still a derivative of H.264 compression - but assuming your compression rates aren't too drastic the images look nice. They've been using AVC-Intra since the beginning of the P2 format, and I've always thought the Varicam image was quite nice.
I guess AVC is still easier to work with than, say, .r3d's...

Last edited:
Have to agree with Jax on this but as Cracker Funk and others have said, it's damn interesting times and hopefully something really good will result.

Thanks for the heads-up wheatgrinder, great stuff.

Hey Jax-Rox, I defer to your experience and wisdom. I do think you are focusing on what would seem to me a small portion of the cinema camera market. From out here, it seems like one huge budget project will use more cameras than any 20 independent self equipped guns for hire. There are what 10 or 20 huge projects in production at all times, that's a lot of cameras.

The margins on the cost of camera production is what makes the manufacture money.
What is the margin, sale price less the cost of production, of a $40K cinema camera vs a $3000 one?
Does it cost $40K to produce a varicam? Maybe 60% margin on high end class leader products. The margins on consumer products are normally measure in the single digits! The only way to make money in consumer products is volume. Volume production is a larger investment in tooling and factories to drive the cost of production down so margins can be sustainable. You can have a smaller factory, hand tooling and slow custom assembly of a $40K camera, making a large margin, but you MUST have a large automated factory for MASS produced product like a consumer DSLR camera, other wise the margins are lost.

Pany has already invested in the expensive manufacturing capacity to deliver mass volume of consumer dslrs, the dslr market is fast disappearing, there is limited time to recoup investment before the market dries up and the technology moves on.

Your point about RED underscores that prices drop for specific capability over time. This happens when a disruptive competitor moves into a market. The competition follows by lowering prices, or trying to establish substantial differentiation between themselves and the disruptor. If the competitor fails to convince the consumers on why the consumer should continue to pay a premium for the competitor specific product versus the lower cost disruptor, then they die.

Nobody is saying YET that a $3k blackmagic or $10k red is "better" than an alexa (or what ever the hightest end prod cameras are these days) but eventually they will say something very much like it... Arri will have to advance the products or lower the prices for what they have, or people will move away from their products. But brand loyalty on the high end of things is something to consider...

Yawn, Im starting to boor myself.. :)

Hey Jax-Rox, I defer to your experience and wisdom. I do think you are focusing on what would seem to me a small portion of the cinema camera market. From out here, it seems like one huge budget project will use more cameras than any 20 independent self equipped guns for hire. There are what 10 or 20 huge projects in production at all times, that's a lot of cameras.
Certainly - with two to three units running A, B and sometimes, C, D and more camera units, that's a lot of cameras!
But, unless you're talking about some weird amalgamation of high-budget indies (is there such a thing? ;)), most of the cameras are rented - either from a rental house, or (on, perhaps, a lower budget) from the DP themselves who owns the camera.

Even on productions like The Hobbit - they may have had 50 RED Epics for a whole year, but they would have essentially been on a 'long term rental' from RED - at the end of it, the Producer doesn't take all the cameras home - they go back to RED.
Similarly, the production doesn't hire camera techs, it hires ACs - like any other production. If there's a problem with the camera the camera that's not simple, or is from the camera itself it gets sent back to RED to be fixed.

The margins on the cost of camera production is what makes the manufacture money.
What is the margin, sale price less the cost of production, of a $40K cinema camera vs a $3000 one?
Does it cost $40K to produce a varicam? Maybe 60% margin on high end class leader products. The margins on consumer products are normally measure in the single digits! The only way to make money in consumer products is volume. Volume production is a larger investment in tooling and factories to drive the cost of production down so margins can be sustainable. You can have a smaller factory, hand tooling and slow custom assembly of a $40K camera, making a large margin, but you MUST have a large automated factory for MASS produced product like a consumer DSLR camera, other wise the margins are lost.
Cool, let's say a 60% margin on a $40k camera. So Panasonic would make, say, $24,000 per camera sold. They may make $50 per DSLR sold. I fail to see how this supports making cameras cheaper? Why not make a camera that costs the same amount as a DSLR to be made, but you're now making $4,000 (say a 40% margin on a $10k camera - yes I'm making numbers up but you get my point) instead of $50. With one camera sale, you make the same amonut of money as you would with 80 of the cheaper ones.

Pany has already invested in the expensive manufacturing capacity to deliver mass volume of consumer dslrs, the dslr market is fast disappearing, there is limited time to recoup investment before the market dries up and the technology moves on.
Assuming Panasonic spend as much money and time on R&D as everyone else, then they wouldn't be making a DSLR if there was no market for it, or the market was 'drying up'.

Nobody is saying YET that a $3k blackmagic or $10k red is "better" than an alexa (or what ever the hightest end prod cameras are these days) but eventually they will say something very much like it... Arri will have to advance the products or lower the prices for what they have, or people will move away from their products. But brand loyalty on the high end of things is something to consider...

Most of this is completely contrary to what you've stated earlier (i.e. the camera cost is but one small part of the entire production budget).

Also, you're assuming that if prices were to drop, that the highest priced camera wouldn't also drop it's price, or similarly that if image quality were to get better on the lower priced cameras, that the higher priced cameras wouldn't also get better quality images. You also may be suggesting that people will decide that cheaper cameras are better simply because they're cheaper - that's really not the case at all as for most people price is only one factor - as you said yourself earlier.

Sure, on a lower budget indie, rental on a RED is a big part of the budget, and you're happy with that because it's great.

On a large, or even medium budget Hollywood film, you're working with experienced DPs who craft the look of your film, which includes the camera choice.
On a large scale, the difference in rental price of a RED kit and an Alexa kit is pretty damn small, insignificant when it comes to decent budgets. So DPs can shoot what they think is best, and as long as Alexa delivers the images DPs like and an easy workflow it will still have a large portion of the market.

A lot of REDs popularity can be attributed to:
It can go places Alexas can't
It can be rigged easier than an Alexa
It can be stripped down to be much lighter than even a stripped Alexa
It delivers great quality in a small, lightweight form factor for 3D (especially handheld and steadicam rigs)

And it delivers 4k-6k resolution, which is great for VFX.

Of course, on anything without a huge budget, it's used because it's cheaper.

At the end of the day, price isn't the only factor affecting camera choice - I've shot on RED when I feel the story warranted a more 'crisp, clinical' look to it.
All of the current available cameras, including film, have different looks - and it comes down to what the story warrants.
But this is not really what we were initially discussing :P

There is no way a camera with those specs will come out at around $3000. I'd love it and be first in line, but those specs are for a $20,000-30,000 cameras. Even the Canon 1D body cost around $6500.

I will wait and see and hope I'm wrong.

Scott

Back