GH2 Users

So I was watching one of Drewnetwork's episodes on the GH2, and in it (episode 6) he offers a noise reduction tip, in which he says to constantly record with the WB set to indoor (I don't recall a setting called indoor on my movie mode), and says its because the red channel creates a lot of noise.

As a result though, the filming comes out a bit bluish, which has to be color corrected.

If all of your colors are off due to an off WB, what is the easiest way of going about changing them properly?

As for the tip, any thoughts? Any one tried it?

I just watched that episode, and yes, he is pretty clear on saying that if you shoot everything with the WB set to indoor (incandescent) that the red channel will be reduced. The RED channels seems to be the source of all the GH2 nosie.
Outdoor shots will look blue because of this. You WILL need to correct for this in post.

Id be interested in trying it for outdoor shots... particularly night time shots under street lights etc..

His test footage was just outdoor landscape, no flesh tones etc, so it may not be valid for narrative use. Test it out and let us know?

EDIT: Also, what do you do when you are shooting indoors with incandescent? Is there just less noise, or do you use the kevlin setting to push even more green\blue?

I'll test it out this weekend for a music video shoot and let you know.

Indoors I believe you just leave it where it is, because the red channel is still reduced under those settings.

The problem I foresee with me is that I always WB with my cards, and it makes things very uniform in post, so I may have problems getting my color grading the way that I want it, but hopefully this isn't so difficult.

I've done some day light shots with it, and after color correcting, they came out great. However, my low light shots will be the deciding factor, and I'm shooting tonight, so I'll let you know.

Back