• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch GH2 Hack Tests w/PL mount

http://vimeo.com/33016592

Just now getting acquainted with the hack, info's on the vimeo.

Going to go back to S16 lenses soon but having fun re-learning how to hang with a DSLR.

Second vid:

http://vimeo.com/33326531 -- might be a bit tough to playback, download.

From Vimeo Description:
GH2 | Driftwood seaQuake 176mb Patch
Hot Rod Cameras PL Mount (hotrodcameras.com)
Zeiss Superspeed Super16mm Zoom T2 10-100
Profile: Smooth -2 -2 -1 -2
NDS: .3, .6, .9
ISO: 400

Nothing special, it's footage that I grabbed pre hack re-install so I need to go back out and try this again. I noticed that, after I re-patched, ETC mode looked a lot cleaner than what's being shown here. However, my eyes may be playing tricks on me.

This is a very specific look. Lots of noise. I did a chroma denoise with Magic Bullet Denoiser and left the luma noise alone, as I'm not a fan of how soft the image gets when you tear noise out of it.

I am a fan, however, of the noise altogether. It's different, adds something to it.

Pretty cool to be able to get two distinctly different looks out of one camera at this price point!

Footage has been graded and is not the image right out of cam.

And, yes, I know, I have shakey hands. Try holding this camera with a zoom on it and focusing without a neckstrap! I've found a temp solution though, so next time it'll be a lot smoother.

Promise

http://vimeo.com/33761833

Vimeo description says it all, but ETC mode and S16's again.

http://vimeo.com/33858689

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z611AIMG -- better compressed X264 with the right gamma. Same File Size

Check the vimeo description, but quickly: yes, I used 2x Zoom and the S16 for this one. All night material. 400 ISO and 800 ISO.

Lots of new revelations for myself, cam just keeps on giving.

Probably the last one I'll post here.

----

http://www.vimeo.com/campcomet/anmamorphic (not a typo)

New hack/patch, Quantum V-2, and some lowlight kinda footage underground.

Last edited:
Beautiful color rendition, the motion seems sharp though... perhaps a framerate v. shutter thing? Or maybe a transcoding thing for the web?

Beautiful color rendition, the motion seems sharp though... perhaps a framerate v. shutter thing? Or maybe a transcoding thing for the web?

When you say motion seems sharp, what do you mean? That's a new term for me! But, would love to understand it.

Shutters at 1/40, resembles a bit more blur than what you'd get off of a 180 degree shutter.

I definitely have shakey hands right now, still getting used to the application.

It's not necessarily the moving camera, it's the gap between the frames that makes it feel a bit stuttery. (beginning of private ryan or battles in gladiator)... what frame rate? If you're at 24p, 1/48 is 180degree, 1/50 would be closer but cheats slightly toward choppier motion. If you're at 30p, 1/60 would be 180, but I'm not convinced that closer to 1/48 wouldn't still give a nice smooth filmic look in new cameras as there's no blanking phase involved.

That said, 1/40 should be smoother and I'm not sure why the footage looks a bit choppy to me.

Ah! You may need to turn HD off or download the file. Sounds like your hardware is choking.

It's a 20mbps stream.

That's annoying... I thought the hardware upgrade would make Vimeo as awesome as everyone said it was... Apparently its awesome is too awesome for even this new laptop... grrm.

Weird. My MacBook Air plays Vimeo HD just fine, and that thing has *seriously* underpowered graphics abilities.

It's pretty intense, man. My laptop can't handle the 2GB ProResHQ file (Windows Laptop) but the X264 file is fine. I've got a pretty strong nVidia card in my system.

The ProResHQ file played well on a new Macbook Pro HDMI out to a 56" inch. Flawlessly.

Looks great!

That's annoying... I thought the hardware upgrade would make Vimeo as awesome as everyone said it was... Apparently its awesome is too awesome for even this new laptop... grrm.

:( Don't give up on Vimeo. Stuff does usually look really cool and play well from it. But I haven't tried to use Vimeo on a laptop. I'm grateful to be watching it with a fairly serious desktop and fast connection. Hope you can get it going better. Also, uncool old geezer square question here, but does it help to be connected via the ethernet as opposed to getting it wirelessly? Or does that have nothing to do with anything...like how fast things run over the net to your 'puter?

Last edited:
Nah, I'm on a pretty fast network, and I'm used to waiting for the video to download before playing it. I may just need more RAM, I haven't maxed out this machine yet :) The picture quality on Vimeo is heads and tails above the other outlets, but the frame rate always seems to suffer for me somehow, perhaps it's just how they handle the bandwidth or something.

The pictures from that camera are GLORIOUS. Can you get color rendition like that from the stock lenses?

Also, uncool old geezer square question here, but does it help to be connected via the ethernet as opposed to getting it wirelessly? Or does that have nothing to do with anything...like how fast things run over the net to your 'puter?

It depends on a few things. Your connection speed to begin with, the strength of your wireless signal, and how many computers are using the network and the way they are connected.

For example, if you've got your desktop connected to your modem via ethernet, and say it's downloading something or someone is surfing the net, or even just connected to the 'net at all. Now if you're going to use your laptop via WIFI at the same time, the connection will be slower because your modem will give priority to the hardwired computer. At least this is the default setting, maybe someone knows how to change it, but I've never tried.

On the other hand if you're connection is fast enough it may not really matter.

Well thanks, Ernest. Just sawr it.

I had to buckle down and do some work over the weekend, we shot a short with the hacked Gh2 + Zeiss PL's and then flopped over to two Canon 5D's and Canon glass for a web pilot. Back to back with minimal lighting, I really got a sense of what the cams were like.

5D is cleaner than GH2 in pretty much every scenario, but is soft and colors are a bit icky (that's me being five years old again).

GH2 is noisier, but not unpleasant below 1000 ISO and retains oodles and gobs (ten years old now) of detail. Looks like old RED ONE footage (non-MX) which is pretty sweet, especially for a seven-hundred dollar camera.

I'm working with some denoise now to see how much a light application will destroy the image.

All questions are welcome!

Note:

I also dropped the resolution on that file to an SD play. If you want to see better quality, download the file on the right

Even that still doesn't hold up to the out-of-camera data... it's insane.

Kholi;237336 5D is cleaner than GH2 in pretty much every scenario said:
What aspects of the 5d are cleaner? My 7d was plagued with moire and aliasing and I find the GH2 much cleaner. How was your GH2 set up? Hacked? ETC mode?

Back