distribution Getting your movie in the theaters

How does this work?

The theaters have their own people who screen movies and then negotiate with the distributors?

Obviously, they only want movies in their theaters that can bring in the movie goers. Well, does anyone think the theaters would refuse a good movie to be shown in their theaters if I deferred any proceeds until they met their quota on the film? Is this possible?

hmmmm...

That's what I am doing (World premiere in about 2 weeks). Local "Historic" theatre will rent a screen in a 200 seat theatre for $500 on a monday thru Thursday (with "Local filmmaker" discount I got it for $415). Friday and Saturday the rate jumps to $1400. So screening on a Thursday, at $7 a ticket, I break even at about 70 people, and a sold out house nets me about a grand.
How much do you spend on advertising?

Getting 200 people to pay to see a movie can be
kinda difficult. I'm not talking about cast, crew
and their friends and family - I'm wondering about
people unknown to you or any of your cast and
crew.

You aren't charging your cast and crew to attend
the world premiere so I'm wondering how you are
planing on getting 70 (hopefully more!) people to
pay to see your movie.

This is mainly talking about full-length films, not shorts, correct?

I don't know if I'm right or not, but we're talking about distributing your film to a theater as an independent filmmaker, right? But isn't it different when you work in studios?

I assume we're talking about a feature.

Distribution is different than "four walling". In
distribution - even as an independent filmmaker
- the theater will pay you to have your movie
in their theater. In "four walling" you pay to
have your movie shown.

Yes. It's very different when you work for a studio.

How much do you spend on advertising?

Getting 200 people to pay to see a movie can be
kinda difficult. I'm not talking about cast, crew
and their friends and family - I'm wondering about
people unknown to you or any of your cast and
crew.

You aren't charging your cast and crew to attend
the world premiere so I'm wondering how you are
planing on getting 70 (hopefully more!) people to
pay to see your movie.

Well first, putting on my producer hat, I am only giving away 25 comps. The crew leads, and speaking role performers are getting comp tickets, but not every PA and extra. They get a free copy of the film, but I'm making them cough up the 8 bucks for a ticket (yes, I am that big an A-hole). The theatre advertises via their website, and I'm also using the social networking sites. I am also fortunate that I am the announcer for the Nashville Women's roller derby team, so I'll get a good turnout from them, also, at the last couple of roller derby bouts I pimped it pretty heavily to the audience (of about 1500). Making money is all gravy, as long as I can get 70 paid to cover my expenses we'll call it a success. Having Lloyd Kaufman in it is helping some as well.

Back