Getting the film sold

As most of you know I've been working on my first feature "No Place" for some time now.

It's now days away from completion and we've started talking to sales agents and distributors about it.

I've decided to keep a web diary of the process, sharing the day to day experiences of dealing with sales agents and distributors. I thought it might be interesting, simply because we've got to sell a British arthouse film with no names and an unhappy ending, made by a unknown production company for as much money as possible, as soon as possible.

Anyway, you'll find it here

http://noplacethemovie.blogspot.com/

I'm going to try and upload some production photos as well. I'd appreciate your comments and thoughts.

Very interesting Clive. Best wishes on selling your film. I would be very interested in seeing some production photos (maybe behind the scenes?) if you have them available.

Well, I've overcome the how to part of uploading photos, now all I have to do is get hold of the production stills from my business partner.

Yes good luck with selling your film. I hear that Blogs are a great way of getting your message out to an audience so I hope that helps!

-Cam

Is the film itself going to have a website with info, too?

Yes, eventually the film will have a website. We've aquired the domains and are waiting to hear back on potential funding for design cost of the site. I'm lucky, in that my best friend is a superb web designer. However, even at "mates rates" his work isn't cheap.

Thanks for the support guys. I really like blogs and my intention with the next picture (Hellhole) is to diary the entire process online. It's something I wish other directors would consider. I know Alex Cox (Repo Man, Sid and Nancy) keeps one on his site.

clive said:
I really like blogs and my intention with the next picture (Hellhole) is to diary the entire process online. It's something I wish other directors would consider. I know Alex Cox (Repo Man, Sid and Nancy) keeps one on his site.

Something I'm intending to do for my next film too. The blog and such are in place; I'm just waiting to start production. It's a great way to get free publicity, because people love to read about how films are made and such.

I've managed to upload some production stills now. I'm really enjoying keeping a blog again and strangely enough it's helping me think clearly about the decisions I have to make at the moment .

It's strange to think that after two and a half years we are now only days away from having the film in it's final shape. In two weeks time the only thing left to do will be colour correction, the Hi-Def online and laybacks, everything else is done.

You shot HD? What camera did you use?

We used the Panasonic High Def variable frame rate camera, set to 24 rather than 25; because this was brand new technology when we first used it (two years ago) it has caused us some minor technical problems. The original tape transfers from High Def to Digi-Beta had to go through a (at that point untested) frame rate converter, I think we were one of the first companies in the UK to use this and mistakes we're made in the set up. Panasonic have since solved those problems and the transfer process is now really simple. No frame rate converter required!

Panasonic have been great over the entire process of the film and although many people prefer the Sony HD, personally I've always liked Panasonic and generally choose their equipment over Sony on most occasions.

Very cool :) What did it cost to rent such a cam for a feature?

>> personally I've always liked Panasonic and generally choose their equipment over Sony on most occasions.<<

I couldn't agree more.

What did it cost to rent such a cam for a feature?

The camera kit was part of a very complicated deal and sponsorship package spread over a number of projects and purchases of other equipment, so in a sense I don't have an answer to that question. Some of the information is commercially sensitive. So, I guess it's a sorry, can't answer that onea the moment.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd missed the typo in the description block.

However, in the sentence

the Northumbrian countryside is one of the most important characters

The use of the word "character" rather than "location" was a deliberate. In this film the countryside is one of the key characters in the story. It dictates the pace of the film. Each of the three leads has a different relationship with it.

Thanks for your support and taking the time to help me make the site better.

Back