• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

music Getting the actual song recording

Hi all - We're finishing up post on a short, and I'm very excited that we've gotten approval from both the publisher for the sync license and the record company for the master use license of the iconic song that my screenwriter really wanted.

Now. I feel a little silly asking, but how do we get the recording? As in, how do we get the sound file our sound editor should use?

I don't know a ton about the technical process of sound editing, but I understand consumer-purchased downloads / CDs typically have protections on them. But maybe I'm just conflating two different issues. Will the record company send us a file we can use?

Thanks for any insight!

Solution
The publisher can give you a link to the file. Just ask.

You don't need to know a ton about the technical process of sound editing but your sound editor will know enough to pull the file from a download if necessary.
The publisher can give you a link to the file. Just ask.

You don't need to know a ton about the technical process of sound editing but your sound editor will know enough to pull the file from a download if necessary.

Solution
Back