• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Getting rights to remake a song

I want to do some parody songs in my films. Using a song melody that I like and change the lyrics to something else. So how much are royalities do they get and how do I make an agreement where I don't have to keep asking permission all the time say if I want to release it on DVD, iTunes, Netflex, and even a soundtrack album and mp3s with the song included.

Also long as it's completely re-made it's fine.

I'm no expert in any way. But I'd be willing to bet that's not correct. Weird Al always had to ask permission of the artist/song writer to use their intellectual property for his parodies. Rewriting the lyrics makes no difference. Someone created and/or owns the rights to the music. They may not ask for money up front, but if you plan to release for monetary gain, they'll want their cut. They may event want approval over the rewrite of the lyrics. If they don't approve, they may not allow you. If you're not looking for monetary gain, you're probably alright to do it. I listen to Howard Stern, and they do song Parodies all day. I think there is a difference in doing the for monitary gain or not.

Also long as it's completely re-made it's fine.

No, this is incorrect. There can be (and usually are) several copyrights attached to a song; composition, lyrics, recording and arrangement. By rerecording the song you bypass the copyright on the recording but not on the composition/arrangement. To create a new arrangement you would need permission from the composition copyright holder (usually the composer).

G

Weird Al always had to ask permission of the artist/song writer to use their intellectual property for his parodies. Rewriting the lyrics makes no difference.

Actually, Weird Al doesn't have to ask for permission. Parodies fall under fair use, which means that as long as it falls under the definition of a parody, then you don't need to get permission from whoever holds the rights to a song. You're free to remake it by writing the parody lyrics and doing your own performance of the song (which is what Weird Al does - it may sound like the original piece but he re-performs it with his own band, probably so that they don't have to acquire a license for the performance for the song... and also b/c I get the sense that some of the songs are too high, so a new performance lets him sing the songs within his own vocal range).

The only reason Weird Al asks for permission is out of respect for the artists. For example, Coolio technically didn't give him permission for Weird Al's "Amish Paradise" (even though Weird Al thought he had it via the label or something) and made a small fuss about disrepect soon after the track came out. Note, however, that Coolio didn't sue Weird Al b/c there was no basis for the suit (since it was parody).

Again, a lot of legal issues come into play when you are interested in "remaking" or doing a "parody" when you are interested in monitary gain. The op stated he was interested in releasing his version on DVD, iTunes, Netflix, and soundtrack album. Someone is going to want to get paid. Someone wrote the melody you are putting new lyrics too. Someone owns the copy right on those things. You can create parodies of songs all day long, but if you want to start selling them, you've got hoops to jump through.

Audio Post Expert is right. If you want to pursue releasing your parodies, it would be smart to get permission from the publishers, which is really not that hard; search on ASCAP or BMI's databases to get publisher contact info, and send them an email explaining what you want to do and what permission or license you'll need. Depending on how popular the original songs were, it probably won't cost a ton of money, so don't be afraid; most publishers are happy to haggle. You'd probably want someone to get your permission if someone wanted to do a spoof of one of your films.
Here's a link to someone who knows more about this FYI:
http://www.askamusiclawyer.com/archive/can-i-use-parody-songs-in-my-ad-campaign.html

Back