• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Getting rid of the 'orange' in lighting

I have this shot I want to take thats suppose to take place in a bar. I have a bar in the basement but that didn't pan out. With the cheap fake dark wooden walls, I couldn't get it light enough and it looked orangy.
So I moved to the kitchen where it is brighter. I thought I would shoot from an angle and just capture the side of the table and maybe it would pass as a bar...reguardless I have that orangy look in the lighting again.

I know its suggested to use the worklamps but its still orangy to me. This is a closeup shot anyway and the lights are too hot...but like I wrote, I am still getting that orange look.
I am using those desklamps with 100watt white bulbs. They worked great in another room near a big window (didn't shoot the window)...but here in the yellow kitchen and a small window, not so great.

So the question after all this is: how do I get rid of the orange? Is there a certain bulb? Or my other option is of course to shoot it outside and make it an outside bar. It isn't what I wanted.

Merci.

I guess I'll answer in a little more detail. Different light sources have different colors. Though this is a bit of an oversimplification (and I'm not the one to delve deeper), for most situations, we've got a dichotomy between orange and blue. The sun is blue. Regular-ol' house lights (and the more powerful ones) are usually orange.

If your camera's white balance is set to match inside lighting, your windows, and any sunlight peering through, will appear blue. If your camera's white balance is set to match outside lighting, sunlight will appear natural, while inside lights will appear orange. The most common solutions:

1. Shoot inside, at night, or completely block any light from coming in through windows. Set your white balance to match your inside lights. This of course only works if the scene is supposed to take place at night.

2. Shoot inside, during daytime, with white balance set to match your inside lights, and just don't let any windows creep into the shot, cuz they'll look a weird blue (or, maybe you want the weird blue, I know some people who like it, for reasons I can't personally figure out).

3. If you want to shoot inside, during daytime, and want your inside lights to match the sunshine, you can acheive this with either blue gels over your lights, or special lights. The blue gels come in different shades of blue (1/4, 1/2, full, x2, etc); full blue ctb will make regular-ol lights match bright sunlight, in color at least. It's also true that there are daylight light bulbs that already match the color of sunshine. In either of these instances, you would still set your white balance to match your inside lights, except you have adjusted your inside lights to look like your outside light.

Back