• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Getting rid of lens flare.

Sometimes lens flare can look cool, but their are times when it really looks unintentional. I tried a polarizer but that only seems to reduce it, rather than deflect it. I googled it, but most people's solutions is to remove it in post, where as I would prefer to deflect it on location. On a set, it's easy, but on a real location, like the street, or outdoors in the day, it's difficult. Thanks for the input.

Why on earth would you want to REDUCE lens flare?

star-trek-lens-flare.jpg

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=startrek11.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=startrek12.htm

Sorry OT but I love LMGTFY

I despise it.

It's not an answer and it's rude. This is a discussion forum where people discuss things. Telling someone to piss off and use Google is the antithesis of discussion. It shuts down conversation immediately. I view it as the equivalent of someone you know walking up to and saying, "Hi, how are you?" and you replying, "Fuck off, idiot."

It's not an answer and it's rude. This is a discussion forum where people discuss things. Telling someone to piss off and use Google is the antithesis of discussion. It shuts down conversation immediately. I view it as the equivalent of someone you know walking up to and saying, "Hi, how are you?" and you replying, "Fuck off, idiot."

I completely disagree. IMO, it's the equivalent of having one question to ask Roger Deakins, and you ask 'how do I use this light meter?'. It's something you could quite easily look up yourself in two minutes and find the answer to, and you've basically wasted your one and only question to Roger Deakins.

There's a lot of experience, knowledge and information on this forum, but sometimes you can answer questions yourself. Many times questions are really specific to people's situations and I'm happy to answer that, but a question like 'how do I get rid of flares' is as easily answered by google as 'where can I buy a matte box'.

I wouldn't even mind if someone had tried to google, but didn't understand and are posting for clarification. But, you're not going to get far if you need to ask all your questions from a forum, and can't do a little self-guided research yourself.

I completely disagree. IMO, it's the equivalent of having one question to ask Roger Deakins, and you ask 'how do I use this light meter?'. It's something you could quite easily look up yourself in two minutes and find the answer to, and you've basically wasted your one and only question to Roger Deakins.

That devalues the benefit of conversation.

Sometimes I post questions I know the answers to simply to benefit from the resulting conversation. You learn by participating and engaging in those discussions. The notion that 'the answers are out there' is also nonsensical. The internet has no veracity to it whatsoever. There are no peer reviews, it's all just supposition and opinion with a few gems of accurate information hidden in the muck. When you don't know what you're doing, how are you to know how to sift through that and find those gems?

A discussion forum is for discussion. A community of trusted individuals develops where information can be verified, argued, evaluated and given meaning outside of a random assortment of data.

Then again, maybe conversation is a lost artform.

That devalues the benefit of conversation.

Sometimes I post questions I know the answers to simply to benefit from the resulting conversation. You learn by participating and engaging in those discussions. The notion that 'the answers are out there' is also nonsensical. The internet has no veracity to it whatsoever. There are no peer reviews, it's all just supposition and opinion with a few gems of accurate information hidden in the muck. When you don't know what you're doing, how are you to know how to sift through that and find those gems?

A discussion forum is for discussion. A community of trusted individuals develops where information can be verified, argued, evaluated and given meaning outside of a random assortment of data.

Then again, maybe conversation is a lost artform.

I think this has more to do with the OP rather than the question, he will ask you what time it is, you say 5 past 3, he will say but my Swiss rotary engineer said that depending on the devices mechanical system and force of gravity, time could be delayed therefore I am a time travelling as we speak and my future is getting even slower to reach due to this lapse in accuracy.

Then he'll post another question asking what is the correct time to shoot a film because his DP said he has to commit suicide at 1pm

I think this has more to do with the OP rather than the question, he will ask you what time it is, you say 5 past 3, he will say but my Swiss rotary engineer said that depending on the devices mechanical system and force of gravity, time could be delayed therefore I am a time travelling as we speak and my future is getting even slower to reach due to this lapse in accuracy.

Then he'll post another question asking what is the correct time to shoot a film because his DP said he has to commit suicide at 1pm

:lol:

It's funny because it's true. :lol:

I'm on the DDK side of the fence, firmly!

To the original post: don't put light sources in a place where they can hit the lens directly... if you don't have control of the light sources, don't put the camera in a place where the light source will hit the lens directly.

As with all light, this is a matter of angles and flagging (either on the light, or on the camera)... even holding a hat next to the lens can block the light from hitting the lens (i tried to find the picture of John Ford doing just this on one of hist sets to block the sun from the lens, but failed even after a google searcher ;) ).

I guess avoiding lensflares is covered right now, so let me say something about removing lensflares in post:

Don't try it!
It will consume all your time, motivation and energy and the result will be bad.
Just avoid it or accept :)

I've gotten lights in the shot accidentally, not necessarily flares, but a huge over exposed corner on a shot I absolutely needed... I put a circular mask over it and feathered it to match the falloff of the light source, then pulled down the exposure to match the rest of the frame as well as possible, and tracked the matte to the light. The results were MEH!

Back