Getting an Agent

Hi.

About a week or two ago I posted a thread about a film I wanted to make. While the advice I was given was great, it turns out that I'm not going to be able to produce it myself. So I was wondering how to go about getting a literary agent for my screenplays.

I'm guessing that getting an agent is the best route, as I don't believe that production companies like receiving query letters from random writers. So how would I go about finding and contacting an agent?

Thanks!

One very important thing to remember is agents only earn money if
they sell the script. It's a business and their livelihood.

A writer with one script isn't going to be as desirable a client
as a writer with several scripts - no matter how good it is. That
doesn't mean you shouldn't try to find one now, it means you
should understand that if you get a meeting, one of the first
things an agent is going to ask is, "What else do you have?" If
you have a couple of great ideas, that isn't going to be as
impressive as pulling out five, really good finished scripts.

It's a very social business - referrals are extremely important
and can make it very difficult for a new writer. The best way to
get an agent is through a recommendation from someone in the biz,
preferably someone with credits. If you’re out of the loop,
you’ll have to call the agencies and find out who might be looking
for new clients.
So how would I go about finding and contacting an agent?
The Writers Guild website has a list of agencies.
The Hollywood Representation Directory lists individual agents at
each agency.

You contact them my sending a query letter asking them to read
your script.

In addition, you could try posting your script on InkTip.com. A large number of agents and managers review stuff on that site and writers get signed or optioned with relative frequency (I'm living proof).

Directorik is 100% correct that you WILL be asked to provide additional writing samples - that was the first question out of my manager's mouth, and I already had 2 scripts posted on the site - so be prepared.

In addition, you could try posting your script on InkTip.com. A large number of agents and managers review stuff on that site and writers get signed or optioned with relative frequency (I'm living proof).

Directorik is 100% correct that you WILL be asked to provide additional writing samples - that was the first question out of my manager's mouth, and I already had 2 scripts posted on the site - so be prepared.

Slightly OT-but this would apply to any agent, not just for script. If it's footage you're trying to sell, they want to see what else you have on DVD.

I think this has been implied, but have the actual samples-not Word documents on a USB or DVD, and not "check them at my website"-yea, I know it sounds obvious, and I'm sure you know this, but I've known a couple of people myself who tried it without having hard copy on them-agents don't like their time wasted and they let the people I know know it.

Back