producing Getting a UK producer

So... we have a weird situation. We're pitching for production money and doing OK. We're the only people our funding source is talking to about a short, feature and series so if they pull the trigger, it's us or nothing.

Specifically, we're raising money for a short to demonstrate we can do what we say we can do. If that goes well, there should be follow-up money for the feature and then enough funding for additional features and series. This means if we can get funding, we'll be shooting a feature with an extremely strong possibility of very limited cinematic distribution in a mainstream cinema chain. We will certainly have local talent (I mean a recognisable, local UK 'name' actor) in a small part and if we are lucky, more recognisable talent.

Now here's the weird bit... We don't need to make a profit on this funding source. The funding source does not want to make their money back from this (think tax planning so they have to make a loss). So if we generate enough money for a movie, we may be in a position to bring on extra financing through a producer and allocate a healthy chunk of profits to that source. i.e. our primary funding will be enough to make the movie (if we can raise it) and then we can add secondary funding on top of this.

However, I've never hunted around for a low-budget producer before. Anyone experienced in this? Has anyone sourced a decent, low-budget producer? We can't double up on tax breaks (because of the financing structure) but there is profit potential based on our analysis and plan.

Just so I understand: you're looking for a producer in the sense of someone to put the project together from a coordination and hiring sense but not to find the funding. Is that right?

The other way around. If we get enough funding to shoot, we are looking for some more funding on top.

The situation is this is our first feature. We've found a way to get funds in a very unusual way, something we've never seen before. We've already had a little funding already from this source and if we can get enough from them to shoot a feature, we will look for more money over the top of that.

The benefit to investors is the first 'source' is neither expecting nor wanting to get their money back. It's a very unusual structure (think tax planning). So we can use that to get into a more traditional funding source.

Couldn't you just run a crowdfunding campaign or several to get that extra money on top of what you have available? Even an unexperienced and anti-social guy like me can be given around $2,000. I can't imagine what someone with an already established social network would be able to net you.

Couldn't you just run a crowdfunding campaign or several to get that extra money on top of what you have available? Even an unexperienced and anti-social guy like me can be given around $2,000. I can't imagine what someone with an already established social network would be able to net you.

What I need is a serious, long-term relationship with investors who back movies and want to see a clear opportunity to get them a return on their money. This is that opportunity to make those relationships and get us a producer who is used to raising money.

That's all dependent on getting an initial hit of money from our funding 'source' which is not a done deal by any means. But if that happens, we'll be in an amazing place and want to build on that.

This is probably stating the obvious, but have you tried working through IMDb Pro? Look up UK-produced movies with budgets around the amount you're targeting, and find contact info for the producer(s). Then reach out to them through whatever means is listed (often a company).

This is probably stating the obvious, but have you tried working through IMDb Pro? Look up UK-produced movies with budgets around the amount you're targeting, and find contact info for the producer(s). Then reach out to them through whatever means is listed (often a company).

It's a good idea. I have the emails of a couple as well...

Jo Barker is a new Indie Talk member from Bristol, UK (I think she joined today). Why not give her a shout and see if you can help each other? You already both speak the same language.

Back