• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

gels, gels, gels...

hey filmmakers,

Todays question is regarding gels (color, balancing).

For example, if I light a scene and want to "gel" my way from 3200 K to 5600 K using a CTB (color temperature blue) gel, would it not be easier to just put the gel infront of the camera lens and then white balance, instead of putting gel on each light?

Is there any difference? Pros and cons..

What are you trying to do? Optical filters on the camera affect everything in a shot; they're no use if you're trying to match tungsten lights to daylight, like you'd use a CTB gel to do.

Yeah, like chili said...

White balancing with a CTB over your lens is just going to fool the camera into thinking your 3200K instruments are daylight balanced. If you then take the CTB away everything is going to be orange.

Just balance for 3200K and forget the CTB unless you have a window in the shot, in which case you need to balance the light sources to match the daylight, not the camera.

Make sense?

Yeah, like chili said...

White balancing with a CTB over your lens is just going to fool the camera into thinking your 3200K instruments are daylight balanced. If you then take the CTB away everything is going to be orange.

Just balance for 3200K and forget the CTB unless you have a window in the shot, in which case you need to balance the light sources to match the daylight, not the camera.

Make sense?

yes sir! this was more a question of what makes better pictures (quality) :D I get it. thanks a million

Back