• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

vfx Fusion Tutorials

Glad I saw this, after hundreds of conversations with other filmmakers, I was starting to think that I was the only person who had actually ever clicked on this tab, lol. An incredibly underrated feature of resolve, that would be of great help to numerous filmmakers. If they ever actually opened the tab. For new people reading this, node based archetecture is where it's at. Don't be afraid of it, just learn it, it's not so bad. Resolve is so much more powerful than most people think, similar to how it was with AE back in the day.

What do you mean AE has a 3d engine in it? That was every conversation I had for the entirety of 2010. I talked to a professor of filmmaking technology from Chicago last year. He was arguing that Adobe Premiere was better than Resolve in every way, because they were identical in function but Adobe was a bigger company. He walked away thinking that I was an idiot that didn't "get" premiere, lol. He didn't know what a 3d accelerator card was when I asked him. He was teaching people to edit movies on a laptop.

Last edited:
Glad I saw this, after hundreds of conversations with other filmmakers, I was starting to think that I was the only person who had actually ever clicked on this tab, lol. An incredibly underrated feature of resolve, that would be of great help to numerous filmmakers. If they ever actually opened the tab. For new people reading this, node based archetecture is where it's at. Don't be afraid of it, just learn it, it's not so bad. Resolve is so much more powerful than most people think, similar to how it was with AE back in the day.

What do you mean AE has a 3d engine in it? That was every conversation I had for the entirety of 2010. I talked to a professor of filmmaking technology from Chicago last year. He was arguing that Adobe Premiere was better than Resolve in every way, because they were identical in function but Adobe was a bigger company. He walked away thinking that I was an idiot that didn't "get" premiere, lol. He didn't know what a 3d accelerator card was when I asked him. He was teaching people to edit movies on a laptop.
True stories. Learning AE and some of it's 3D features is in large part why I was able to make a moderately successful feature back in 2010. Today, Resolve is a total game changer for the indie filmmaker. It's the number one application I recommend to people starting out since it does it all and does it all so well. I'm still a Nuke guy at heart, but started learning Fusion a little over a year ago since I don't work at a VFX house anymore where I have access to Nuke. I've got some cool project ideas in the pipeline that will really help me test Fusion.

True stories. Learning AE and some of it's 3D features is in large part why I was able to make a moderately successful feature back in 2010. Today, Resolve is a total game changer for the indie filmmaker. It's the number one application I recommend to people starting out since it does it all and does it all so well. I'm still a Nuke guy at heart, but started learning Fusion a little over a year ago since I don't work at a VFX house anymore where I have access to Nuke. I've got some cool project ideas in the pipeline that will really help me test Fusion.
I totally agree. It's my first out of the gate recommendation as well. I think people unfairly think of it as a low grade program simply because it's free. I've heard people say that they want to use a premium program, not a free one. Then I have to explain to them about Davinchi's hardware offerings, and how this is actually a high end program, that was made free as a branding strategy to make the company's name ubiquitous. I think most people don't understand that you can spend 40-50 grand on a Davinchi setup if you are so inclined, and have it mentally lumped in with other free software such as notepad and ms paint.

In case anyone semi serious ends up reading this, (you obviously are, but IDK who will come along in the future) It's worth noting that if you drop 4 grand on Davinchi, to buy a high end Nvidia card like a 3090 and a low grade colorist deck, you can get at least part of the way towards a professional level colorist/edit workflow in 4k real time. My render speed at 4k is almost double real time. Anyone who has time to watch all the videos above would be wise to do so. You can find a more all encompassing course at Udemy or similar for $11 on the monthly sale.

Back