Funding

Where do you go to obtain funding? I want to Produce a Christian film about a guy who is into drugs as a teenager and then turns his life around starting in rehab where God finds him and then uses his life for good to help others that are like him. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

A quick look at how a movie makes its money back.

Investor puts up $100,000
Distributor spends $40,000

“First Money” - The first $174,000 goes to to the investor and
distributor:

Investor gets $100,000 plus 20% - $120,000
The distributor get $40,000 plus 10% plus their 25% overhead
fee - $54,000
The filmmaker gets nothing - which is why you want to put a salary
into the budget.

“Second Money” - Once the movie makes $174,000 the percentage
agreement kicks in. Let’s use a profit of $100,000.

If you’re very skilled at business and make a deal in YOUR favor the
numbers might look like this:

Distributor takes 40% - $40,000
Filmmaker takes 60% - $60,000

Of that $60,000 - called the producers gross - you first pay all deferments
and then points. So if you have offered 10 points to the investor they
get $6,000. If you owe cast and crew $20,000 in deferments and a total
of 20 points ($12,000) you end up with $22,000 for every $100,000
the movie brings in.

Ok so the First Money is a predetermined amount then. Good thing I'm not into this stuff yet, I'd rather hire an agent or something to figure this all out, but of course the agent will also take a percentage.....

How on earth are you going to make a movie for $20,000 that a distributor will be interested in?

I sold my first feature that was budgeted at $15,000. As long as you have a good story and decent production value it's very obtainable.

Oh... and directorik's breakdown is accurate so take note!

Last edited:
The directors of "Baghead" say they made their movie for $1,000.

It had a very limited theatrical run, but it WAS released in theaters
and on DVD.

I think the original question was very specific to genre. If this is a Christian movie, are there distributors who work specifically in that market?

There are a lot. And more and more are exploiting the Christian market.

Even "The Asylum" disrtibutors of "MEGA SHARK VS GIANT OCTOPUS",
"DEATH VALLEY: THE REVENGE OF BLOODY BILL" and "HILLSIDE
CANNIBALS" has started "Faith Films"

The directors of "Baghead" say they made their movie for $1,000.
For $1,000?? On what planet? On earth film costs about $500 for 10 minutes.Or if you shoot on HD a Panasonic Varicam digital camera rents for $800 a day. Tapes are about $75.00. Crew people (who know what they're doing) don't work for less than $100 a day if they don't flake out.

Everyone likes to talk about the Blair Witch Projects, but the vast majority of filmmakers don't see a profit. Again there's over 4,000 movies made every year, and no where near that kind of physical shelf space available in stores (where money is made).

A little research goes a long way Blade. Baghead was shot on the HVX-200, which you can buy for under $5,000. A lot of people have this camera many of whom will freely lend it to friends. No cost there. Since footage is captured on a P2 card there is no tape stock, only the cost of an hard drive. Hard drives are cheap and it's not too difficult finding one lying around not being used. Hell, I got two at the moment. If you have friends that work in the business it's actually pretty easy to get stuff for free/cheap. The hardest part is convincing them to work for free. But if it's a good project many will. Or at least volunteer time when they are available.

Now, I can't verify that Baghead was shot for a grand, all I'm saying that it's not inconceivable. With a little determination I could see it happening.

See, personally, the more I've learned over the last couple of years the more I think I'll be better off just trying to sell the various scripts I've written. Not that doing so magically makes everything a thousand times easier, but it just seems like a better route for me personally.

I wouldn't be against still trying to get into the business and technical side of actually making a film myself. In fact, I still make it a point to try and learn as much about that as I can.

There is no way to absolutly verify that number ($1,000) but I
saw the directors speak at a screening of "Baghead" and they
mentioned that number. On the DVD they also say it cost $1,000.

Eight or so friends getting together to make a movie means no
payment for crew or cast and if you already own the equipment
(and don't count equipment purchase as part of the budget) I can
see making a movie for a grand.

They made their previous movie for $15,000 and it, too, saw a
theatrical release.

It's interesting - the Duplas Brothers are making great little DV
movies that get theatrical release by major studios and most
movie makers are still using Rodriguez and Myrick/Sánchez as
the gold standard for indie filmmakers. 17 and 10 years later.

Check out their work.

Where do you go to obtain funding? I want to Produce a Christian film about a guy who is into drugs as a teenager and then turns his life around starting in rehab where God finds him and then uses his life for good to help others that are like him. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The type of feature you are referring too might go well with TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network).

Back