Freezing cold in Los Angeles...

Hi there, I want to shoot a scene in a room that is supposed to be freezing, like meatlocker cold. I want to get the visible breath-exhaust look when the actors speak. But, filming here in Los Angeles, that makes such a situation difficult. The room is about 12x12. Is there something I can rent, like a portable refridgeration unit, that can lower the temp in such a room to really cold levels?

Robert said:
Is there something I can rent, like a portable refridgeration unit, that can lower the temp in such a room to really cold levels?
They did that in The Exorcist.

People from Michigan feel really bad for you and your "I can't get cold enough here" problem. Is there a window in the room? You could probably get a really high powered window air conditioner and crank that puppy until you get what you're looking for. Around here we just open the window for about two minutes.

indietalk said:
They did that in The Exorcist.

heh, yeah, but this film is supposed to be funny.

I remember seeing a bad attempt at the effect in a movie... I think it was the Amityville Horror part 3. The actors held (cigarette?) smoke in their mouths and let it out as they talked. Looked really bad.

I don't have much of a budget, so renting an industrial-strength AC might not be feasible. but, I will keep looking into it.

And Dylan, yeah, its always a beautiful, sunny day here in Los Angeles! :cool:

I lived in LA for a year... Smoggy, brown skies don't make for a beautiful day in my book. It's warmer, I'll give you that, but I prefer not having to wear a gas mask.:)

Stratigically placed dry ice combined with maybe light blue filters and some make up and actors <ahem> acting cold might sell it well enough..

granted, that won't give you the visible breath.. but if you absolutely need that it can be done in post.. they did it with CG for 'Titanic'

Ditto what Will said... the breath could be added in Post but you have to convey the coldness through the camera. ALSO if you do lower the temp watch out for your equipment. if you bring them in from the warmth, put the cams in a plastic bag until the temp inside and outside the bag are equal. Condensation will happen on the bag instead of the equipment.

Back