Free Video Edting Software?

I'm wondering if there is any good free video editing software out there for PC, the Operating System I'm using is Vista if that makes any difference.
I don't need loads from it, although I would like it to be able to change the colour of a shot as I want some scenes in a short I'm doing to fade into black and white.

The truth is that all the free programs are not very good. The ones that are downloadable for free off the internet probably can't handle HD and on the whole are no better than Windows Movie Maker...

If you only need it for a few weeks, you can download the demo of Adobe Premiere. It lasts a month before you need a liscense, and aside from a few presets it'll do most everything that the full version does.

If you only need it for a few weeks, you can download the demo of Adobe Premiere. It lasts a month before you need a liscense, and aside from a few presets it'll do most everything that the full version does.

Ditto that for all of the Sony programs. If you do end up deciding to make a purchase, Sony is what I personally recommend, for something inexpensive. Vegas Platinum 10 is only $95, and for all intents and purposes, does everything a beginner/intermediate filmmaker should want and need.

I've used a few of the really inexpensive editing software (don't remember which ones) and I always found them to be really annoying, as they aren't made for filmmakers, but for laypeople who just want to edit their home vids. For example, they never have more than one video or audio track (which is a must).

Anybody know of anything cheaper than Vegas that has the bare minumum requirements for a filmmaker?

If you dare, you could partition the hard drive and install Ubuntu, diual boot and use Cinelerra or Openshot. Both are free and open source.. It is free and many swear by them ( a few at them ) . I use Cinelerra exclusively. Cinelerra and ffmpeg will do most all of what I need. Cinelerra has a learning curve and Openshot is more user friendly, both have a lot of support and followers online.

Anybody know of anything cheaper than Vegas that has the bare minumum requirements for a filmmaker?[/QUOTE said:
Nope. Pinnacle Studio does HD, but you are stuck with single A/V tracks. I would stick with Sony because if you decide to upgrade to Pro 9 or 10 the learning curve is greatly reduced being already somewhat familiar with the layout of the program and it would suffice for any filmmaker for some time to come. Additionally, for most to even understand what Adobe can do for you takes some editing chops.

I second the Sony vote.

Plus, you would only pay the upgrade price.

Vegas would get my vote also. Its cheap and its solid. I know Premiere, Avid and Final Cut and I like/use Vegas more than the rest. It has nice audio tools also (5.1 out of the box).

If you dare, you could partition the hard drive and install Ubuntu, diual boot and use Cinelerra or Openshot. Both are free and open source.. It is free and many swear by them ( a few at them ) . I use Cinelerra exclusively. Cinelerra and ffmpeg will do most all of what I need. Cinelerra has a learning curve and Openshot is more user friendly, both have a lot of support and followers online.

I just downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 beta yesterday, although I've yet to put any flavor of Linux on a productivity machine. I do support it (at least a proprietary driver component) in my day job, though. Mostly dealing with SLED lately, although Debian Etch and Lenny are in there. Learned on Redhat and still play with it occasionally.

Whereabouts in Texas are you?

Take Hwy 6 towards hwy 59 from you and stop in the Spring area by the airport

I run a website devoted to using FOSS for Video production ...indiebudgetmoviemaker.com the website is more of a hobby than a full blown endeavor.

We should hook up over coffee and brainstorm. I work off 249. I feel like I'm a one man operation, too. :lol:

Looks like you're focusing more on production. My focus lately is on writing, although have enough production equipment to be somewhat productive behind the camera.

And since I am still a student of Linux in many ways, perhaps you can enlighten me on some stuff. :cool:

I forked over the cash for the full Adobe Production Studio Premium. Probably wasn't the best move because by the time I learned how to use it (still learning AE7), it was obsolete. No worries, though. I'm still shooting SD with an XL1s, so it's fine for now.

I may shoot a wedding next year with high-def cameras, so I may upgrade to CS5.

Last edited:
Back