• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Found some big reasons why my feature script is not working.

I found some reasons why my feature script i discussed lots of time is not working.

Number one. The love story, Not only does it fall into the cliche that ALL women who stand up and fight are lesbians, but it also makes everything forced, predictable (annoying) and gets in the way of the main storyline.

Number two, the main charachters occupation. A journalist/ PI wouldn't be called by the navy to help with a
sabotaged salvage operation.

Number three. Villian is just a weak, boring joke. Its obvious who the villain is and why.

The Mcgguffin. A Document locked away in a bomb proofed case in the hold of the britannic.
The document itself is a treaty that will make several European countries into weapons producing powerhouses.

The economy is failing in several European and medditerranian countries and if it is ratified there is a possibility a hostile faction will turn the countries into one big semi communist empire.

I decided to change it to a cure for a disease of which existence was kept secret, and several decades later the disease has come back, and is beginning to spread throughout the world. The Cure is IN the hold of the sunken ship and the only way to get it out safely is to Bring the ship up.

I also am decreasing the level of action and making it into a sort of slow burner with what I hope to be a lot of epic visuals, and great charachters pretty much like "The road". Well not quite "epic" on the visuals but still visually appealing

I want a strong story fist so that when the action does happen you'd actually feel something for the charachters and be satisfied by it instead of being confused.

I cant make the movie now but if I get to I want to have a strong script that wouldn't have to be put through a meat grinder and pieced back togeather, and to have to need minimal rewrites.

It's easier to trim and fix "The hurt locker" (a good script) than to try and fix "Plan 9 from outter space" or "battlefield earth" (bad scripts)..

I learned my lesson on the first script I wrote. It read like hell. luckily it was only 81 pages!

Last edited:
Wow, I haven't followed your progress on the feature to this point, but I am impressed at your ability to identify and admit any weaknesses in your script. Usually, I'm blind to those things until someone hits me over the head!

Good luck with it! :)

The Cure is IN the hold of the sunken ship and the only way to get it out safely is to Bring the ship up.

It could be interesting to flashbacks for a b-story of HOW it got on the ship in the first place. That could also reveal more info about the illness and how serious it can get, maybe giving the audience a little more info than some of the characters and creating some suspense (sorry for the syntax, my brain works in run-ons :D).

Back