• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

found footage horror/slasher

ok so i have been in the stump on an idea for a while now, and i was thinking of maybe doing a found footage style slasher film, here would be the basic premise and obviously in the very early development stages.

2 brothers have always dreamed of making a film, and just love it in general. They live with only their father and out some what away from the city, in more of the country. there father comes home one night with a present for them, which happens to be a video camera for them, as he is about to leave on a business trip. They await the arrival of the babysitter while messing with their new camera(from this point on everything is in the view of the one brother controlling the camera) when they think the babysitter has arrived, they begin being terrorized and stalked by 2 men in masks.

its just a basic idea, but yeah :P i have more planned and what not but anyone else's ideas ill consider and taking into account.

Of course, what I was mentally picturing was:
Dr-claw.jpg

So maybe with that in mind they might be fun to watch ;)

im not to good with drama, and horror is what i love no matter how cliche a lot if it might be, either horror or action/sci-fi, but action films can also be super repetitive. and 15-20 minutes.

and found footage, i just think for this project would be a little interesting, some cool stuff could be done with it. see how people would really re-act in this situation, more realism into the script.

You say you like horror but action films can be repetitive. Aren't horror films repetitive too? At least the slasher ones usually are. Anyway the home invasion idea I think would be a good one for found footage if done well. At least it's different than another witch or demon. But don't have the character holding the camera run with the camera pointed straight, which isn't realistic, like some found footage movies have done.

My first concern when reading your outline is that the brothers are waiting for their babysitter… That would imply that they are young. How young are we talking? Children and Slashers rarely work well together.

The other thing I would say, which is a problem with a lot of found footage films, is why wouldn’t they put the camera down? In ‘Blair Witch’, they’re making a documentary. Fine. In ‘Paranormal Activity’ they’re trying to capture ghost footage. Fine. But in others, say ‘Cloverfield’ or ‘REC’, having the protagonist film everything seems a bit daft. Their lives are in danger, filming that would serve them no purpose, why bother? If I was trapped in a house with a pair of psycho’s outside, I wouldn’t be filming it. Just a thought, but don’t let that stop you… We can all suspend our disbelief for a while.

And no, music is not allowed. In found footage, it’s only accepted if the music exists within the scene, so is essentially being picked up by the same microphone that picks up all other sound (although, 'Cannibal Holocaust' added music to the found footage scenes, but this was explained away in the rest of the movie, by having the music added by the editor).

Got to say though, I do like Josh’s idea of a half-found-footage, half-regular-movie could be interesting.

Well...the babysitter idea was dumb but age of 17, 18. And possibly not a babysitter b ut a older family member? And reason for recording at first they think people are jus joking and its funny. But soon becomes serious, and they figure video can be proof for police, or if the dont make it out alive. But the half film half found footage sounds neat, any more ideas on that would be nice (:

What Wrong Turn and The Zero Boys have in common are killers who killed their victioms out in the woods by hunting them like game. In the Zero Boys, the killers also had a cabin out in the woods where they would tied down and torture their victims to death and video tape the killings. The Zero Boys discovered the tapes and found the room in the cabin where the crimes took place. So, the killers hunted the Zero Boys who just happened to be weeekkend warriors training to be survivalists. They used their training to turn the tables on those hunting them.

Also, I personally believe the TV series Witch Blade was highly underrated. The show had plots that requires viewers to think and networks hate that. Season 2 of Witch Blade had an episode called, "Veratos." It is a Latin word that means, "The Truth." NYPD Detective Sara Pazinni in this episode had a friend who was given GPS coordinates to a Military grade film from the 196,s where whoever had possession of the film was being assasinated by a group that was a government within the government.

If you are familiar with the comic book series by the same title "Witch Blade," Sara has an ancient bracelet that gives her the powers of a warrior witch that has been passed on since the beginning of time. So, Sara escapes peril from these assasins who come to a peace treaty with her because they have her on video tape using the powers of the Witch Blade to slay their assassins. As a representative of the group tells her, "Now you know our secret and we know your's." She discovered they assasinated Presient John Kennedy. They would make public her secret if she persued them. In return for her withdrawal, they made false charges that she killed and FBI agent vanish and she was reinstated with the NYPD.

These ideas can help you come up with something with a new angle.

Witch Blade is available on DVD as a box set.

hmm..i see, well thanks for the reply! and ill be sure to check that out. you know of any other reasons or good reasons i could use to make this half film and half found footage? other than the idea of someone watching security cameras of the invasion that was suggested?

Did you read my posts?

I just gave you 3 reasons.

The camera they are using has a recording of a sadistic murder and the people in the recording come after the guys with the camera.

The recording on the camera could have footage of assasssins killing people in possession of the assassination of a political official.

The camera has recordings of survivalists who are serial killers killing people inside a log cabin.

As for the guys who found the camera, they can be:

Weekend Warriors

Cops

Or just kids making films who do stunts for production companies to pay the bills. So, they are trained in weapons, martial arts, and escape from the movies they are in. So, they can turn the tables on their attackers.

Wy not go for this? 2 or a group of kids want to makke a slasser movie. 30 minutes caracter introduction. There is a abodont house 50 minutes walking down the old bridge in the forrest. Sneakingt into the house trouge the open windows. Going upstairs. Getting a little bit upset with strange sounds. Going down.....The windows are lay't with bricks. It looks old, like it has been there for years. etcetra...

What is really done to death to the point of boring is helpless victims.

Victims that fight back adds more interest.

People just don't wait to be killed and coward in corners. They plot how they can overcome those trying to kill them.

Did you read my posts?

I just gave you 3 reasons.

The camera they are using has a recording of a sadistic murder and the people in the recording come after the guys with the camera.

The recording on the camera could have footage of assasssins killing people in possession of the assassination of a political official.

The camera has recordings of survivalists who are serial killers killing people inside a log cabin.

As for the guys who found the camera, they can be:

Weekend Warriors

Cops

Or just kids making films who do stunts for production companies to pay the bills. So, they are trained in weapons, martial arts, and escape from the movies they are in. So, they can turn the tables on their attackers.

yeahh i know that stuff, but i want it to be more of not found footage as in movie revolves around the found footage, but more of 2 teens struggle in a situation that may cost them their lives, and they need the footage for some reason or another looking for a good reason for them to record it and not just ditch the camera. But i feel the idea of them being isolated in a cabin type house(the house in which i'd film is 2 stories not including a basement and has polished wood floor to give it a more country type home) and the stalking of the teens would add more suspense, and they really have no where to go except travel miles down the road, or miles through the woods so they have no choice but to survive however they can(possibly involving fighting back) but the maybe make this not just a random act and have a reason behind what is going on.

Back