• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

format question

Hello, I'm stumbled at the moment because I'm trying to import a video from premiere pro into after effects, I have no idea what format I need to export in because i usually export to h264 codec but AE will not open any mp4 files at all.
Any help?

Hello, I'm stumbled at the moment because I'm trying to import a video from premiere pro into after effects, I have no idea what format I need to export in because i usually export to h264 codec but AE will not open any mp4 files at all.
Any help?

Hello, pen. What is the format you imported into premiere and start editing? (don't say H264) ;)

There are work-arounds, but more info will help.

bringing footage into premiere is no problem (the format is mp4 of the canon t2i), but I have no idea what format I need to export in to further edit in After Effects.

I just right click on the footage in Premiere, and from drop down menu choose "Replace with AfterEffect Composition". Your footage gets imported into aftereffects, and all the changes you make in aftereffects, the footage gets automatically updated in premier.

bringing footage into premiere is no problem (the format is mp4 of the canon t2i), but I have no idea what format I need to export in to further edit in After Effects.

That's H.264. Well, you can export the clip or timeline to mpeg2 and then re-import it or convert all your clips to an intermediate file type and go into AE whenever you want.

Dslr videos and After Effects

hello, I've actually mentioned this problem before but after a week of endless google search I still have the same problem.
Mov files from my 550D cannot be opened in After effects, it says that the file type is unsupported. I've tried everything from opening from bridge or downloading quicktime player and copying the support files inside the AE support folder. nothing works, do you have a solution?

What version of AE and Premiere?

Even without the suite, you can still import Premier Projects IN AE. File->Import-....

If you MUST export, then export out to quicktime Animation Uncompressed. (I normaly dont bother with that high of detail for internet stuff, quicktime photo jpeg is good enough for 99% of what I do)

Plenty of tuts on how to do that, RTM etc.

please check the post before yours where I explain the problem in more detail. Simply not being able to import directly from dslr to AE is the main problem.

Back