follow your heart!

Hi future filmmakers! :)

I have a confession to make, I know this is not church or whatever, but you might understand better.

Its been almost a year since I last posted here, moreover, even visited. The reason behind this is because Im 19 and still in that phase where I have to make a move for myself and determine what Ill be in the future.

Ive been dealing with my choices, varying from owning a company (fitness business) to public speaking and to making my visualizations a reality (making movies). I love all three. The previous year I had been focusing solely on fitness business.

But one day, while I was in the school library, my eyes couldnt help but notice a pile of books titled "130 projects to get you into filmmaking" by Elliot Grove. That moment I knew. I felt that hype in my stomach. I had to open and start reading ATLEAST the first few pages. But as 20 minutes passed, I hadn't even realized I was already through more than that!!

So thats why Im so confused now, because I put a lot of effort into having my own gym business, so much, I neglected movie-making. :( ... but the thought was still there!

Now I think I know what Ill choose..

Just a thought I felt like sharing with you all.

Peace!;)

Why can't you make money with your business, and fund your film projects from the money you make from that?

Go make a movie! :cool:

Why can't you make money with your business, and fund your film projects from the money you make from that?

Go make a movie! :cool:

Hey Zensteve!

Been a while..

Well, then Id feel like working! Making movies is not work, its more like pleasure, and plus, you can get a kick out of it and make some money if youre that motivated :) . However, I see your POV and Im still not really sure.

Im unsure, because my mind was set 100 % on owning a gym business, but I need to have a certain degree for kinesiology (what I was planning on studying). While I was preparing for it, each time I had trouble motivating myself somehow..

But theres the difference, when I think of making movies, I really dont need motivation. Everything I think tells me I need to put it out there! On that screen..

Im still thinking through it :) and yes, thats a good suggestion, money-wise.

Never late to start..

I am 21 and dropped from 4th year at law school (in Brazil the completion comes at 5th) to follow my cinema dream.

You can find someone that want to buy your gym, but stay working with it until you find it.

Do you got an screenplay ready to be shoot?

Good luck!

Edit: I quitted my job at a production company when I got the money to survive until my film is released. The worst case scenario is finding a new job.

Last edited:
Never late to start..

I am 21 and dropped from 4th year at law school (in Brazil the completion comes at 5th) to follow my cinema dream.

You can find someone that want to buy your gym, but stay working with it until you find it.

Do you got an screenplay ready to be shoot?

Good luck!

Edit: I quitted my job at a production company when I got the money to survive until my film is released. The worst case scenario is finding a new job.

Thanks so much!

Man, thats dramatic (regarding school) so close..

I dont really have a screenplay yet, Im making one now. Its about uniting the world into one. OH, and making lots of 2-3 minute shorts (comedy, drama) for practise!

But, just so I am clear with everyone, I dont own a gym. Atleast not yet. Well..im not even sure anymore. Its about what you REALLY want right?

I WISH YOU LUCK 2! :)

Last edited:
There is no hope. You have disgruntled the movie-making gods through your neglect, and you shall be banished to care-taking of stairmasters and pilates mats the rest of your life.

You can do all three of those - I know many people who do that.

I work 9 hrs a day, and on weekends learning how to do short films. I'm going to be 25 this november.

My advice is to find steady income and make short films. Sure, you can keep going towards your goal to own a gym. Since I don't know your financial situation or life experience, I ll assume you re an average 19 year old guy.

I ll s Sorry to be a dream breaker, but you won't own an actual gym for a bit. I'm sure you know that owning a business is a lot of work, and even if you want to be self employed - you ll need experience managing people..

My advice: work in the industry that you wanted to work. Slowly start building up your managment and organizational experience. As you re doing that - make movies on the side. That way you re giving your brain a chance to rest, and not always concetrate on one thing. Start of with shorts, practice on that, show movies to friends, get better, and send stuff off to festivals.

But again, I have no idea what your life situation is or who you are. You might be a film genius, and your first short 2 minute film might get some ground breaking reviews lol. But I'm just assuming that you re a typical 19 year old guy, that stands on the cross roads..

Ps. I'm in similar situation. I actually gave up a really good job offer to get on the path to become an engineer at my company, and still working on manufacturing floor, simply because the new job will take away my time from learning filmmaking. I'm also 3rd year at university, studying physics. But if you really like filmmaking - you ll find some time for it :)

Back