Focusing Question

Hello,

I've seen this shot where the camera focuses on a distant object, and then blurrs that object out and focuses on a very up close object. How do you create that effect? And do any of you use it, at any point?

I'm not sure if it depends on what camera you have. I just recently got a Canon hf200.

Thanks in advance.

As Indietalk said, you're 'pulling focus.'

Every distance from the camera has its own focus distance...you have to find that. Some cameras use adapters and special lenses, which create a shallow depth of field (DOF) which is an extreme example of the effect you're talking about. Other cameras have an 'infinite' focus on their camera, which pretty much makes everything seem relatively focused (but there still is a focus distance to your target even with infinite focus lenses).

If you want to achieve this pull focus technique, it's much easier while using special lenses that create a shallow DOF. If you don't have a special lens, you'll want to move the camera further away from your targets and zoom in...this will create a shallow DOF...it's just not as dramatic as with a special lens.

So ya...you focus on one of the objects (in the background say), and then you move the focus to the closer object...which if set up correctly will register with the effect you're looking for.

Just don't overuse this effect...if it's a stylized thing, use it sparingly, when you're doing it in normal conversation for example, the audience shouldn't even know it's happening.

Good luck.

They do it a couple of times in combination with the camera man "finding the frame" in Antichrist directed by Lars von Trier and it gives the film a really cool doc-type feel. Otherwise focus pulls can be handy if kinda clichéd substitutes for establishing shots.

Back