directing Focused and Flow

What are some ways you stay focused on the end goal of your film? How do you keep the flow going, day after day, line after line, shot after shot?

I've realized, even with just doing short films... Throughout the year of development, there have come many moments where my body/mind give out on the idea. It's almost as if I'm hitting a brick wall, kinda like when exercising and how you reach a plateau.

It doesn't matter what I do, I always get the eventual day or sometimes even several in a row, where my ideas stop stirring and I'm left clueless. It just freaks me out! Then impostor syndrome kicks in, and I'm wondering what the actual hell am I making/thinking?

So far, the only thing that gets me back in the game is listening to music. Music (especially tunes that spark imagery into my brain) really seems to help. But, I hope I'm not the only one who has this problem when doing a project.

I feel like it could become an issue later on when working on a feature film. If you have anything that helps, I'd love to chat about it.

Back