Focus on Directors - Stanley Kubrick

Stanley Kubrick, in my mind, was one of the most interesting directors. There are many of his films that, love or hate them, had an effect on someone whether it was another filmmaker, actors or other artists.

The first film of Stanley Kubrick I ever saw was his adaptation of The Shining. Interestingly I didn't like the movie the first time because I felt it was too slow - this was before I had an appreciation for slower paced movies.

Upon subsequent viewings I grew to enjoy it a lot more.

He is an influential figure to me because I am someone who likes to maintain a degree of control over my work. I am not an extremist in this though because I accept that filmmaking is a collaborative process so I will co-operate with others in my work when crafting a film - for the purposes of screenwriting though I must say I like complete control...but I digress.

Stanley Kubrick definitely had his own style which is prominent in his films. He is a bit of a rebel in my mind because of his disdain for authority. Which would have made him a difficult person to deal with for some.

He is a director who has dabbled in more than one genre and succeeded.

2001 A Space Odyssey is an example of a film that some love and some loathe. I however find it an experience worth watching. It is a great example of how to convey meaning without needing constant dialogue and prodding the audience.

Full Metal Jacket is an effective film because it shows us the horror of war from a different perspective - the pyschological mind of a soldier and how the military can shape and mold it to whatever they wish, in order to create willingness to commit violent acts without remorse or pity, essentially becoming a cog in a larger machine that does things without question.

I like that it is split into two sections - the bootcamp training and then on the front line.

Those three films, for me, are the Stanley Kubrick movies that are my favourite.

I've always wanted to watch 2001: a space odyssey, i've seen bits and pieces. anyone recommend it?

Who's Stanley Kubrick? Is he new?

Yes, he's this wonderful up-and-coming director... people are calling him "the new Paul Thomas Anderson" and he may one day create a hit, and hopefully gain some sort of notoriety in the film industry.

I haven't watched his movies, but I know him. Go to wikipedia page of Stanley Kubrick and we find a big list of directors he influenced. But I've watched Artificial Intelligence which was his development, and Speilberg's direction. Really fantastic, out of box ideas there :)

He is an influential figure to me because I am someone who likes to maintain a degree of control over my work. I am not an extremist in this though because I accept that filmmaking is a collaborative process so I will co-operate with others in my work when crafting a film - for the purposes of screenwriting though I must say I like complete control...but I digress.

You are absolutely right. May be Mr. Kubrick survived because it was a different time entirely. We now live in an era of attitude (varies from person to person though) but it's mostly that way. I love to work in team, it gives me a great pleasure.

Our works of art are totally based on our personal experiences, so to see what a different person with his own experience can mould my work taking it to a positive direction, team work is necessary.

In this matter, I'm greatly influenced by Sir Ridley Scott. When you start a thread about him, I have lots to write :)

The ability for people to create their own films has been greatly enhanced by the accessibility (and lower cost) of filming and sound equipment as well as editing software on computers and combine all these with online video sites like YouTube and you have many people who have greater control over their content than ever before.

I wonder what Stanley Kubrick would have felt about this if he were to have lived longer and be with us in this decade.

I think having different directors to glean inspiration and knowledge from is valuable because you can then take on or reject what you feel is a positive or negative trait to form your own work ethic and style of filmmaking.

It is important to look back on the films of yesteryear if you are studying film as you can learn great lessons - the technology and tools for filmmaking may have changed but the basic processes and structures are still relevant and in place today.

I will start a thread about Ridley Scott for sure :)

I'm pretty sure The Shining is the first Kubrick movie I ever saw, but A Clockwork Orange is probably my favorite. (Three guesses how I picked my screen-name.)

The combination of cinematography, music and character dynamic just work perfectly.

Are people being serious?? If so ...that's frightening!!

Can't think of another director who skipped from genre to genre and made so many great films. From 1960 the run of classic films he made is staggering, each one dramatically different from the other.

richy has resurrected an old thread, but Kubrick's work will be discussed for as long as Shakespeare's has. There has never been another film maker like him, and probably never will be.

Am I biased? Possibly. My company name is an homage to the man.

Non-established film makers have a very difficult time making films like Kubrick's today, because his films require patience and intelligence to be appreciated, two qualities that the majority of modern audiences sorely lack. Terry Gilliam and the aforementioned Paul Thomas Anderson try to work on that level within the modern system, but with much difficulty and, in most cases, with limited success.

Using all the tools at his disposable, the chief ones being lighting, colour, costume, makeup, setting, background, actor blocking, Kubrick gave so much meaning to each frame and scene that there isn’t a single mediocre movie in his resume.

I'm a bit incredulous to be honest, this quote from Ernest Worthing's link above is typical of reviews and analysis of Kubrik's work. There have been many great directors who were protagonists for sound design over the years, in fact it's one of the hallmarks of the great modern directors but Kubrik is particularly important. Kubrik was meticulous in the sound design of his films, pushing the sound departments to new levels of achievement in the fine details of ambiances and other sound elements and this is part of what constitutes the style and feel of his films.

Even one of Skywalker Sounds main mix rooms is named the Stanley Kubrik mix room. Ever heard of Foley? Part of the reason you have is because Kubrik helped to popularise the term and insisted Jack Foley himself applied his artistry to Spartacus. Which was incidentally the last film Jack Foley worked on before his death.

Despite Kubrik's deep commitment to sound and the role it plays in his films, sound doesn't even merit a mention in the list I've quoted above, or many of the other reviews or analysis. Are reviewers and film analysts really so ignorant of sound in film and Kubrik's use of it?

G

But a great thing about visiting I.T. is that it's made me more aware of sound design, thanks largely to you and Alcove and others. I bet that's true for all regular visitors here. Keep beating the drum! It helps, I think.

Back