• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

Flower

Ok, so here's my decent dab at video editing, not sure it's creativity though because I doubt an array of video clips from existing movies could mean something otherwise, but still for the sake of just simply posting I used the basic tutorials of openshot for creating this.

Upvote 0
I started out myself editing footage from other people's work. Filmmaking takes years of experience, and even just recutting other stuff is a type of experience. I would say that if you want to move forward, you should try shooting and assembling your own reel next time, even if it's just with a cell phone camera. There are things you can learn by editing movie clips, but you'll learn more applicable skills faster if you work from scratch.

Here's a suggestion, just walk around your neighborhood, filming people, buildings, plants, transactions, whatever, and then try to cut that together in a way that tells a simple story. You could learn a great deal from just that simple process, and you'll get a lot more reactions from people from original work, allowing you to learn even more from the feedback.

Just an idea, but go out and get a bunch of shot of automobile traffic. Maybe start by showing roads with no cars then lead into really congested areas. Try to make a statement.

I started out myself editing footage from other people's work. Filmmaking takes years of experience, and even just recutting other stuff is a type of experience. I would say that if you want to move forward, you should try shooting and assembling your own reel next time, even if it's just with a cell phone camera. There are things you can learn by editing movie clips, but you'll learn more applicable skills faster if you work from scratch.

Here's a suggestion, just walk around your neighborhood, filming people, buildings, plants, transactions, whatever, and then try to cut that together in a way that tells a simple story. You could learn a great deal from just that simple process, and you'll get a lot more reactions from people from original work, allowing you to learn even more from the feedback.
This is great advice. When I'm feeling like I'm in a creative rut, I grab my old T2i and just shoot stuff. I'll wander around places where nobody is around, like fairgrounds in the off season. I let myself just shoot and be arty. Then I bring it home and cut it together with music trying to tell a story. It feels a bit Philip Bloom at times, but it works great.

Last edited:
Back