• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

press-release Fissure on DUST

PaulWrightyThen

IOTM Winner
Hi guys,

just thought I'd share the news about Fissure (my short film from 2 years ago).

Its been scooped up by the sci fi channel DUST and is currently being loved/savaged to death in the comments section. If you havn't seen it and would like to, then head over to this link:

Hope you like it!

Congrats on getting it to DUST. Crazy that it is 2 years after you made the film! I will watch this when I get home from work, but I just wanted to give you props now.

Yeah, it came out of the blue too. I had it on my youtube channel where it kinda peaked at 4k, then DUST wanted it. So glad for the opportunity to hit a wider audience.

So they are looking for films that have a lot of views I'm guessing. Did you ever submit to them prior?

I plan on submitting our short to them after a festival run. But I have a ways to go to finish the film. What are your recommendations for getting a short film around 4k views on YouTube? Other than making a good film?

Honestly it all kinda happened by accident.

I released Fissure on my channel. It got a few views. I submitted for a review on io9. Thought nothing of it. I only knew it got on there becuase my pal told me Rian Johnson had retweeted the article. https://io9.gizmodo.com/10-excellent-new-sci-fi-and-fantasy-shorts-you-need-to-1827912662

So it got a big bump from about 500 views to 4000. I thought 'thats that. pretty cool.' Then a couple of months ago DUST contacted me through my site to pick the film up. And the rest is history.

So I guess my advice is get plenty of reviews, submit to everywhere even if you think there's no point.

Not my cup of tea as a genre, but congratulations 👍 on both the quality of the production and for getting it seen and promoted. Yours is a good example of how patience and a good "product" can be rewarded (eventually!) with a lucky break.

Edit: the YT comments are something else, though! Criticising the placement of power outlets on the wall ... WTF??? :eek:

Last edited:
Back