First Short Film

Hi guys,
just recently started posting on this forum again.

I'm 14 and living in Hong Kong. Still in school so pretty much can't do much with film. :(

Anyways, I've been trying to write, direct and produce a short film for almost 2 years now. Last year I wanted to join a film competition in my school but couldn't get a decent script written. Not too much people join that school competition and I pretty much haven't seen great videos produced. I don't think there's a lot of people interested at my school.

Finally, in January, I came up with an OK idea for a short film, lasting around 6-10 minutes. So I have a solid script written out in about a month. I started filming some parts, and after editing, it was alright. Since there's not much I can do to get into Filmmaking, I've been learning from books, websites... watching films, reading screenplays. I use a Canon HG10 with an external microphone. I hate letting my videos have obvious cuts... esp. for audio, when the next shot comes up and the transition sound is obvious.

Short film synopsis: An Imaginary Life Casey a teenage girl makes up people. Imaginary people. She has a problem, she can't distinguish real people from fakes. She dreams back and thinks about times she had with her 'imaginary friends'.
at this point she is at the beach, thinking. includes 2 flash backs, introducing 2 imaginary friends
Casey then (in v.o.) talks about how all she does is ignore her friends, they're still 'there'. But she has to try move on and forget about them... meet real people. Right on cue, a beach ball bumps her and another teenage girl talks to her, and become friends with her. Casey has finally met a real person. They find they have stuff in common, and therefore go somewhere else to get a drink. It is then revealed that the girl was another made-up person. But Casey continues talking to her, not suspecting anything... as if she's trapped in that imaginary life forever.

The film idea isn't that good, I was wondering if anyone could suggest anything that could make it seem more interesting. I've only filmed one of the flashbacks so far. What I do now... since I have one camcorder, I film the same scene a few times at different angles. Then cut. I was wondering if there were any tips I can get from users of IndieTalk so my film turns out much better.

Thanks
Jeremy

The twist can be the main character is the imaginary friend of the last character or something.

OR

Casey is in therapy because of her "problem" and it ends up that the girl she met at the beach is the therapist and the whole beach thing is that Casey is just in a therapeutic hypnotic trance right now. But that wont work because the therapist would be older. Well you can try work something from that. Tell me if I helped.

Back