first refusal

i have an actress who is requesting first refusal clause in the contract. Can someone please explain this to me in layman terms aka dummy terms

Thanks

i have an actress who is requesting first refusal clause in the contract. Can someone please explain this to me in layman terms aka dummy terms

Thanks

Ask her to explain exactly what she wants -- there's a number of meanings for "first refusal" -- it can be good or bad for you . . . the other thing, if she but this clause added to your contract for her, or she brought you her own contract with this clause in it, you need to see an entertainment lawyer.

It really depends on what the first right of refusal is on. First right of refusal is usually done on future projects/work/investments where a first deal is done on specific terms and when further projects/work come up, they have the right to any deal offered or agreed upon before anyone else. If they pass on the terms, then you can offer them to someone else. If the terms change, you usually have to offer the new terms again.

If it is, that would be really weird and I'm not sure if that would work.

As I said, it would depend on what the first right of refusal is on.

First right of refusal usually comes from those who have the money.

I've never heard of an actor asking for, or getting, a "right of
first refusal". I'd be confused, too.

A first refusal clause is usually something a studio asks for from
a prodCo they want to be in business with. The studio tells the
prodCo to offer any projects they are developing to them first.
They get the first look at it - if they want it they go forward, if
they don't they turn it down so the project can be shopped to
another studio.

She is saying she has the right to refuse what? If she has been
offered a part she doesn't need a contract to say, "No thank you".
I can't imagine she is asking for the right to be offered a job on
you next project. But maybe she is. If so that's highly unusual.
And a really bad deal for a producer.

Back