First Project - The Lord of the Mojo

Well after having surfed on filmwebsites for a couple of months I finally got myself a project.
I'm 16 years old but we had to do a project for school (practical art project) and we could do film for it. Now we've heard it wasn't necessary, but we went on with it anymore. Me, Rick and Nick are the crew. We really started working on it 2 weeks ago. We've already gained quite some progress now, we did some conceptual sound design, looked for some music, we know how to do the 'visual effects' and we already got abotu 25 pages of script.

The movie is a comedy like Scary Movie. We mixed some Lord of the Rings with Austin Powers and we use some more. Fact is that we really try to make our own movie, but with some other movie elements. At the last it gets serious, and we get a Star Wars battle and such.

I've almost finished the website, and I need some space to put it on. There you can view some short Making Off's and our FIRST trailer.

The Movie will be quite big, could be abotu 30-45 minutes because we don't like shorts, we want a real movie with a real STORYLINE. Therefore we have planned it for Summer 2005.

We are well on our way as I've said already (not to mention I've arranged my mom for making some SW-costumes), we know how to edit the movie, we've got a lot of ideas and a lot of people already asked whether they could help, and many told us they found the trailer amazing.

Now you guys, as prof. filmmakers, won't think the trailer will be so cool, but you might like it.

I'll keep you in touch

Greets Gotan

Now you guys, as prof. filmmakers, won't think the trailer will be so cool

Good sir!

You need more confidence. There are several young filmmakers who turn out rather good flicks, and there is no reason why you could not be one of them. Of course, the proof is in the pudding... but even if the trailer is less than stellar, you'll get a lot of useful feedback on it here. That can only help, as well.

Lots of non-pros here, too, btw. It's a great mix.

_______

Now some questions for you, Mr Gotan...

and we could do film for it.

When you say that, do you literally mean film as opposed to DV?

If so... what kind of film are you using, and have you taken a look at the various costs involved with it? You mentioned it could be up to 45 mins.

30-45 minutes because we don't like shorts, we want a real movie with a real STORYLINE.

I'm curious why you equate length with legitimate story.

_______

Looking forward to seeing the trailer :)

No we will shoot with DV. We won't be making a very professional film, but we are really working hard and we try to put in all our efforts. Our trailer is made of material which was actually made for the making off. We fight in normal clothes, and stupid moves. The real Star Wars fight is turning out very, very cool.

And thanks for the reply Zen. About the length... we think we could make more story with some more characters by making the film a bit longer.

And well I think the real movie will turn out good because we've got some more aspects, like in prof. filmmaking. That's because we will even have some costumes, we wll have some VFX, we've done some nice sound design and I'm doing some voices (like Gollum, whose, yeah, also part in it).

Yes we've already sorted out much we're going to shoot. Most of our costs will be camera & DV tape, some other things like fabric which will be used for the making off Jedi costumes, some plastic sticks we use as lightsabres. I think besides camera (and tape maybe) we will come up to about 100-150 euro of stuff we will need for shooting with.

Actually the trailer we have know, was only made to show in our class, but several friends watched it and they thought it was pretty cool. In the end the trailer will be more storytelling as well, now we only have some SW stuff. Also the fight is going to be awesome, we're going to use 2sticks vs 2sticks and more things like that, we've got a GREAT plot outline in our movie and such...

A friend is going to get the trailer online.. It's 2 mb.. will be here in a short time.. (maximum late afternoon I think).

Thanks a lot for the reply Zensteve.

If any of you got any tips you think we should use, please do so, we could really use them.

We're getting a small website online for it as well, so be sure to check it out when it arrives. I will show some early cuts we did already. We've got 2 small cuts for the movie ( short battle sequences) with some better fighting. Not the best, because it's going to get better every minute.. But I will show you when I get a chance...

hopefully it'll turn out great, I do think so actually :)

Greets Gotan

Sounds like a fun project, then.

Here are a few links to what some of the teen crowd have been up to recently.

_______

AMF Production

Working hard on their new superhero shows... I'm still cracking up at their "The Magical Time Traveling Thugtastic Jug", though. Has some SW effects towards the end.

_______

Board member ShadowBeast came up with this little SW nod...

Lightsabre Clone

_______

There are some other FX people on the board as well, with all kinds of whacky ideas to make the impossible happen.

:cool:

:welcome: Bryan!

Gotan, check out www.ifilm.com too, there's plenty of Star Wars "fan" films on there, might give you some ideas and such.. and it's always fun to see what others are doing and have done.

My all time favorite SW fan flick is 'Troops' it's like Star Wars meets COPS.. funny, and very well done. 'Fanboys' and 'Deathstar Repair Men' rank right up there too.. They're not on ifilm, but rather on www.theforce.net.. click the title for a direct link. Incidentally, there is a TON of info regarding starwars type films, and filmmaking at www.theforce.net. They may even host it for you when you're finished.. ;)

Last edited:
Back