First Lens w/ Adapter

I just got my first lens and adapter for my GH2 (got a canon FD 50mm f1.8 pretty cheap).

I just shot a test with it and then shot with my kit lens as comparison. A couple of things I've noticed:

For some reason, even with a much lower aperture, the canon is darker, why is this? Adapter?

The canon shoots much wider (a close up on a face will take up nearly the entire frame, where as on the Lumix, it is much more narrow, which is neither good nor bad, just different.

And the canon is much smoother, which I expected as the Pannys have a reputation for their sharpness.

Basically, with the lens/adapter being 100% manual and non-electric, I am kind of at a loss as to how to go about my settings now. I think I like the lens, but I just need to know how to better apply it.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

check that the aperture on the FD lens is functioning correctly when on the adapter. There is a bit of a trick to make sure you engage the aperture enabling pin on the FD lenses..

You may have some auto settings that are enabled, but since no auto lens is attached it cant do the automatic thing..

Also, My guess is you need to bone up on photography 101. Focal Length, prime vs zoom, fstop are all still important even in the digital age. By using a manual lens, your sorta committed to doing everything old school, so do your home work, do your camera and lens testing. You will be 10x more empowered by doing so.

Last edited:
Back