First Film/Equipment

I'm trying to make my first short film this summer and was looking for some advice on the equipment I'll be using. I know the only real way to learn is through experience, but so far I've read Ric Viers' The Location Sound Bible and Christopher Kenworthy's Master Shots. I have a lot of experience with live sound mixing, but I haven't bought a field mixer and wasn't planning to for this project.

Rode NTG-2 with shock mount and wind screen
Tascam DR-100 mkii
50' XLR cable
DIY Boompole (bought a painter's pole from home depot and an attachment on eBay, I believe it's 3/8")
Canon Vixia HF10
Manfrotto tripod

In Master Shots a lot of the shots require a long lens. Is it possible to attach a long lens to this camcorder?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sweet man!

You'll have a little easier time with a shorter XLR cable. That's a LOT of extra cable to manage if the boom op is also the PSM.

The Canon Vixia has a built in zoom lens. While you can't add another lens to it, you'll e able to zoom fairly far in.

Big thing missing from your list: Lighting and grip. If you don't light your shots, they will look like crap.

Medium thing from your list: Headphones/Monitors

Little things missing from your list: consumables. You'll need about 3 million AA batteries for your Tascam and a few roles of gaff tape.

Thanks for the reply! The XLR cable was only $15 on Amazon so I figured I'd get it. I guess it is a little overkill....

I have a pair of Monster Studio Beats for audio and can always pick up some decent headphones if need be.

Any recommendations for lighting? I have minimal crew, minimal budget, and was planning to rely on natural lighting as much as possible. Although the last thing I want is for it to look like a home movie.

Edit: is zooming far in the equivalent of using a long lens? I'm pretty new to the video end of filmmaking (obviously I'm new to all of filmmaking, but I do have experience as a theatre sound chief)

Last edited:
Natural lighting works outside in the daylight, even then reflectors, bounce and scrim go a long way.

Pick up a decent 3 fixture kit minimum. I'm a fan of lowel lighting for a first kit. It's cheap enough to be competitive but good enough to last your whole career. You should be able to pick up 3 fixtures with accessories used on ebay for $350ish. I've done it several times.

Back